Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
You put a whoopin' on Sony yet?
Nope. He wants to do it all safe and legal and sh*t. On a track. I don't have the time or want for that. It will only take a few seconds. I also have a drag street car sitting in a garage rotting away. Why would I take my cruiser to the track? He could always come up my way and do some spirited cruising?

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Even though I have not driven the old girl much this summer, it is still running good. It has been a busy summer at work and home, so it didn't leave a lot of opportunities to drive the car. I finally fixed the front end alignment today. I also backed off my timing a little and richend up my fuel settings. Judging my what others are running for timing and fuel settings on here I have been pretty aggressive with it. I have been sitting back and slowly learning from you boosted nuts on here. I took the car for a very spirited drive. I am still getting a red light randomly on my knock gauge, but seems to be a little happier over all. It is kind of a hokey setup though. I think a lot of it is fauls knock. When I had it apart the pistons and cylinders looked new still. So I am not too worried about it, but I am trying to play it safe. I am going to take it easy till after the Cruise To The Woods the first week of October. I still have not got a new O2 sensor yet for the PLX gauge, but the AC is working good now. That's all I got friends. Enjoy what is left of the good weather!

• Winner
Reactions: 14 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Glad to hear.

A quick test of you think its false knock is to back the timing down 2-4 degrees and then go drive it in the same manner that you previously seen knock. If it registers knock then that's false knock.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Glad to hear.

A quick test of you think its false knock is to back the timing down 2-4 degrees and then go drive it in the same manner that you previously seen knock. If it registers knock then that's false knock.
Thanks for the advice. That is basically what I have done. There also is no set pattern for the red light. I need to take some logs and study them, but that takes time.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Not much to write home about, but it is the end of my cruising season. I made the Cruise To The Woods the first week of October. Car ran great with the cooler temps out side. I tried something different this year. I went to Boone and met up with the group coming from there and drove with them to Stratford. I then took a different route than the cruise to Leahigh on the curvey river roads. It was a very spirited drive to Leahigh. I then met up with some old buddies at the bar. We drank a beer or two talked about cars, and watched all the cars roll through. That was a lot more fun than the cruise and car show by far. I only took two pictures one of me getting ready to leave home and one of a member on here from Perry.
20201004_081451.jpg
20201004_093606.jpg
It was about 40° that morning. Good time. After talking to some of my buddies and a few Grand National guys. I am going to write a tune and try my hand at E85 next year. E85 is every where here and 93 octane is not easy to get. I currently run 93. Might mix it at first. I think it will let me run a lot more boost safely. I need to still buy a o2 sensor for the PLX gauge yet. I would also like to get a pressure sensor for the PLX so I can monitor the fuel pressure. I have been just watching the Sniper Wideband. The only thing that concerns me about switching to E85 is the Sniper. I am not sure if the injectors and internal parts can handle E85? Some say it will be ok, and some say not to do that. When I put the fuel system together I did so with converting in mind. My lines and pump are compatable. I also put in a bigger pump than I needed for that reason. It has been a very busy year with life, and my work schedule. It did not leave me much time for car fun. Hopefully next year will be better! What are your thoughts on converting to E85?

Reactions: 14 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
There are many contradictory opinions about using a Sniper or Super Sniper with E85. I'd recommend calling Holley if you wanted to run straight E. But if I were you, then I'd setup one of the inputs for a flex sensor, then do some mixing with the idea to be able to fill it up with gas when it gets parked for any extended period. 30-50% ethanol will put your octane in the 96-102 range which is plenty to get the benefits of E.

I didn't notice you mentioning that you've added any inputs or outputs, so in case you haven't, it's super easy. And setting up the table for a flex fuel sensor is just as easy. Have you messed with any of the I/O's?

My two cents - glad to see you got out and enjoyed your car - it's really a beautiful ride :)

Reactions: 3 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
There are many contradictory opinions about using a Sniper or Super Sniper with E85. I'd recommend calling Holley if you wanted to run straight E. But if I were you, then I'd setup one of the inputs for a flex sensor, then do some mixing with the idea to be able to fill it up with gas when it gets parked for any extended period. 30-50% ethanol will put your octane in the 96-102 range which is plenty to get the benefits of E.

I didn't notice you mentioning that you've added any inputs or outputs, so in case you haven't, it's super easy. And setting up the table for a flex fuel sensor is just as easy. Have you messed with any of the I/O's?

My two cents - glad to see you got out and enjoyed your car - it's really a beautiful ride :)
Thank you kind sir. I was hoping you would put your thoughts in on the subject. To tell you the truth I have not done much to the car since the last update. I tweaked the fuel and timing settings a little and did a tape measure alignment. Most of you know I am a Heavy Equipment Mechanic. I have been doing a lot of diagnosing a lot of complicated problems with different software every day. So when I get home and to the car at seven o'clock. I just don't have the want or ambition to pick up a laptop and work on that stuff. Not trying to make excuses, just the way it has been. Burnt out! Being a Mechanic is really not all that fun anymore.

Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have flex fuel content on my 2+2 and it's nice. I had run e85 on my firebird by just changing the injector flow rate in the tune and it was nice, but there is definitely that range anxiety of I need to find e85 next pump, what if I can't, then I need to change the tune, what if my laptop is dead.

Granted, if you only stay in MN, WI, IA, MO, finding E85 is easy and if you stay local it's not as much to worry about.

Really having a content sensor and the tune to auto adjust the mixture based on E % is the way to go. Nothing to worry about and the tune does it itself.

Reactions: 4 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
The one benefit of the Super Sniper is I can load and store I believe seven tunes. I can switch between tunes in a matter of minutes. I am not sure as to how to program a flex fuel sensor into the Holley yet? I do agree that, that would cool feature. So I could mix it in any way I want. Holley dose not recommend running E85 through the Sniper, but do not say you can't. To tell you the truth I have not researched it all yet. I do have general timing and fuel settings that the Grand National guys use. I also have the ability to adjust the boost on the fly, but have not tried it much yet. I have a air pressure regulator in my council.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Are you using a laptop or just the Holley display for tuning?

You can purchase a splitter for the CAN connector so that you can use both at the same time. I paid $50 for the splitter cable and it works fine. Much easier to use both the Holley 3.5" dash and laptop at the same time or decide which one to use without having to swap cables around. I'm mentioning this because if you head down the flex sensor path, then I believe you have to use a laptop for the programming and assigning the inputs - again, I believe.

I feel your pain being a heavy equipment mechanic. The one main reason I never wanted to get into that - winter.

Hold fast brother and speak up if you need something.

Jim

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor