Suggestions for my cutlass build?? Help for a new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmoflow

n00b
Sep 18, 2014
Sunnyvale, CA
So i have a 1984 Cutlass Supreme. currently has the standard (most common) v6 engine in it (i forget the cu in probably 231).
Anyhow, my plan for the project is fairly simple. i would like to drop in a v8, replace the transmission. rebuild the exhaust the whole 9.
I am interested in hearing some tips and advice for what engine would be ideal to drop in (307 or 350 whatever it may be) as well as other performance parts which will be necessary for this project. its my first g-body, so i want it to be done right and i want it to run hard loud and everytime. any advice no matter how extensive or brief is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Just got done doing a 81 and going to dial it in tomorrow night at the TNT night. Started at the front with a new radiator for a monte and got a fan schroud from a monte so it all works with the motor. Started with a 880 four bolt casting and then went with a 3.75 stroke and a .040 bore for 385 inches with a Comp EX-270 hyd roller cam. Heads are a set of Vortecs with good springs studs guide plates and roller 1.5 rockers. I went with a Hughs converter and had a th350 with all the good internals and a shift kit. Hurst stargate shifter and a tack with a shift light. Stock drive shaft to the stock housing but with a 28 spline posi unit with a set of Moser upgraded 28 spline axels and a new HD cover with all the upgraded bolts and studs. Most of the stuff I had laying around so it was a easy to do a gbody so that's how and why I got this 81 Olds.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
It would help tremendously if you told us your primary intention with the car. If it's strictly for cruising around locally and hitting the track a number of times per year then a build like Yav8 might be the thing. If you would like to do road trips like the Power Tour or similar, it would behoove you to consider fuel injection. Maybe even retrofitting a late model V8 from a wrecked truck or Camaro. I'd also highly recommend an overdrive transmission if highway runs are in your plans.

Are you mainly interested in straight line performance or do you want a G-machine that can hold its own at an auto cross? Lots of ways to go so you need to plan everything around your intended purpose.

driveit

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2013
Definitely need to know more about what you are planning to do with the car and what your budget is. I know its not the same year as yours, but a little motivation for ya.
newsig10.jpg

newsig11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor