Summit Copper Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I spent a few hours trying to strip the sticky gloss black paint off the old 3 row radiator I had squirreled away for my wagon and it looks like crap. Fins are bent and damaged.
I know this radiator has been mentioned in some of the threads over the past couple of years. Has anyone actually bought one for their car ? Looks like a quality piece for the money. Much cheaper than the 4 row I bought from US Radiator. Any good ?

And before it starts, Im not interested in an aluminum radiator with aluminum tanks.

sum-382016_xl.jpg

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Originally I started with the mindset you have. After a ridiculous amount of time looking into all manner of radiator companies and options I decided in the interest of value coupled with a 'made in the usa' preference to drive up to summit. Business was quiet enough I got the copper/brass unit brought out...

I was disappointed in the step down coolant neck, and the drain was plastic.

While you're not interested in the aluminum/aluminum, I'll say as much for posterity as anything else that I had them bring one of those out too. Everything on it was metal. Really nice welds, no plastic, bigger cooling tubes, and cost $100 less. Droped in perfect exact fit with original rubber mounts and fan shroud.

No contest which one I bought after looking over in person, and it wasn't copper.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Reviews on Summit website are stellar. And several mention good fitment.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What is motor are you trying to cool? There are multiple aluminum rads with stamped tanks, paint it black and no one will ever know it isn't aluminum. The drain should be easy to replace, I just put a new one on my 70's Copper/Brass 2 core. Someone got this recored and it cools fine. Personally I would have got them to add a 3 core since GM used a 3 core tank for 2 and 3 core rads.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
What is motor are you trying to cool? There are multiple aluminum rads with stamped tanks, paint it black and no one will ever know it isn't aluminum. The drain should be easy to replace, I just put a new one on my 70's Copper/Brass 2 core. Someone got this recored and it cools fine. Personally I would have got them to add a 3 core since GM used a 3 core tank for 2 and 3 core rads.

Even the ‘stamped tank’ aluminum radiators don’t fit like a stocker. I know because I just bought one. Their fitment in the rubber mounts is way less than desirable, exactly like the non-stamped ones. However once you do the work and make them fit right they work well. 95% of people probably think they fit just fine to begin with.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I would love an aluminum radiator but after buying the big $$ Griffin that was supposed to be a "custom fit" for my 81 and not having it fit I got kind of turned off. To be honest I would buy one from the local auto parts with the plastic tanks but none of then are 3 row. I tried calling Spectra this week to find out how their single row replaces a 3 row but I couldnt reach anyone that spoke English. I might try again on Tuesday. I dont really know. Will a cheap plastic tank aluminum radiator be enough for a 350/330 crate motor ?

I saw the stepped down neck. Kinda strange but Im not sure I'll be using the stock upper hose on my car. I put it on to see how it fits with the serpentine setup and it looks like it might have to be changed. I was going to ask that question at a later date unless someone knows the answer now.
I guess the only other choice is to have mine re cored. Im sure its going to run at least $400.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
When did the 3rd Gen F-Body rad stop being a good option?

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The single core aluminum plastic 3rd Gen F body rad fit the mounts just like stock. My current one is the wider A body rad, so it misses one of the stock mounts, being wider. Good to know about the stamped tank aluminum not fitting the mounts. Is it a width thing? I am planning on one for my 70S, easy for them, just get 4 core mounts to replace my factory 2/3 core current mounts.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
In Copper, it might be marginal, depends on the design. My A body has bigger grills then the small Euro grills on my 88 Cutlass. Plus the rad is 3+" wider, both make a noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor