Summit Racing Camshaft for 305 SBC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Not that exact cam but i ran a summit cam and it didnt last but 2500 miles before lobes wiped. Broke tge cam in like you should and had spring pressures checked everything was spot on. I will never use a summit cam again imo junk.

I have used both the K1102 and K1103 in otherwise stock 305 cars. The 1102 is probably the best choice for the engine unless you have the HO setup with the smaller chamber heads and 1.84 valves. The Summit stuff is no different than Crane, Edelbrock, SLP, etc. I hear about so many flat tappet cams doing what this one did to chevy2480 any more. I really do think it has a lot more to do with the junk motor oil the government is just certain you need versus the camshafts. Both Summit sticks I had were US made. Use some good high zinc break in oil and you should be OK. If you really want a stock profile the 1101 will be fine, but the 1102 has a little more "cool sound" and a bit more power potential. I'll be the first to admit that the 1103 was probably a bit much.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I've run the 1102 also and liked it. It was in a 307 (Chevy) but probably would run similarly in a 305. The engine had about 10K miles on it when I sold the car. I think the 1101 is pretty close to a stock replacement and you may not really notice any change over the factory cam. Probably a decent choice if you are doing a stock rebuild but I wouldn't consider it an upgrade. The 1102 is basically a copy of the Edelbrock Performer and runs well in just about any SBC. Use a good quality break-in additive and oil and follow the initial run procedure. Comp Cams was recommending Shell Rotella oil. You should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor