Supercharger Kits for Olds Small Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

jward2090

n00b
Nov 24, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a good/budget friendly (4K MAX) supercharger kit for my Cutlass. It's an '86 Cutlass, but the engine is a '72 350 Olds Small Block that was just rebuilt with 250 miles on it since then. Here's the current set up:

Engine
• Bored .030 over to 355
• Edelbrock intake/carb/cam/lifters/roller rockers/headers

Trans
• Turbo 350
• B&M Trans Pak
• 2100 Stall

Rear
• 273 gears :( Gonna fix that ASAP

This is my first "muscle car" and I'm a little disappointed with the performance so that's why I'm looking into superchargers. It sounds a lot faster than it actually is :lol: It has a 3" cowl hood on it and I'd like for everything to fit with my current set up! Any suggestions and links are appreciated.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
First you should concentrate on tuning before throwing big dollar parts at it. Also, what cam do you have and what is your actual compression ratio?

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
#1 change that rear end ratio. :shock: you will change the entire feel of the car.
#2 what type of heads and cam specs?

These things are paramount!

If you decide to slap on s/c your going to have to rebuild the bottom end if it isnt already. Where talking forged crank h-beam rods gapped molly-piston rings etc. And you wouldn't take full advantage of a s/c if you dont have a cam with lift and dur. designed for a s/c

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Supercharging a small block olds is virtually unheard of. And carb'd? It sounds like a huge waste of money all to arrive at the same ammount of horsepower that could be achieved by just buying a big block motor with few mods on it... I've never heard of someone getting s/c to work well without switching to EFI. That all being said; it's possible you have the correct intake manifold to buy the edelbrock supercharger kit in which case it wouldn't be such a waste of $$$ then. Look how expensive these kits are. You could probably find an incomplete one used and save big money http://www.summitracing.com/search/bran ... yle%20Kits

Still sounds like a huge waste of money especially if you were going to pay someone else to set it up.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The Edelbrock intake he currently has will not work with a supercharger.
You will need a whole kit but as suggested a better and cheaper alternative would be a bigger engine but if you want to spend the money on a supercharger for a 350 Olds here is a kit but also plan on possibly going through the engine again to upgrade for the blower at the very least replacing the cam.
http://www.superchargerusa.com/olds_bk_ ... tm#350olds

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
theoldsone said:
#1 change that rear end ratio. you will change the entire feel of the car.

X2. The 273s is the main thing holding you back. You need at least a 3.42 for the engine to get into its range. A 3.73 may be better.
I also am curious as to what cam you have. Post the specs. The motor also needs a free flowing exhaust system. What headers do you have?
The '72 that you have is a great starting point.
What do you want the car to do? We can tell you how to get there.
Basically, Supercharging is the wrong way to go on a Olds small block.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor