Supporting Members Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Hey guys. This message is mainly for our Supporting Members. There's a bug with the site that is preventing automatic/recurring renewals made with PayPal from processing correctly. Meaning you'll get charged and then the upgrade expires anyway, and I don't get notification that it failed. So.... As of right now I'm turning OFF the automatic recurring feature of that.

BUT. If you already set up your upgrade with that, there is a chance (frankly bc I have no idea what will happen) that it will automatically renew it anyway... just bc it was originally set up to do so. This is some weird callback/interaction thing going on with the site and paypal and I keep thinking I fix it only to have it crop up time and again.

So... if you got charged for an annual upgrade, but didn't actually get upgraded, LMK what you want to do with it. I can refund it, or I can manually upgrade it, either way.

Basically if you see a PayPal charge from Ripp Tech Svcs (thats me) for $25 and aren't sure why, that's probably what happened.

Further, I installed an addon that is supposed to notify you 7 days before your upgrade expires, to let you know so you can decide what to do with it. I haven't actually verified that's doing what its supposed to so if you've gotten that email (or didn't and were supposed to) shout out.

As far as I can tell, if you upgraded with your credit card via Stripe, that all is working correctly, but I turned it off anyway... which means it might auto-renew anyway, if its attached to the payment profile. They make it kind of complicated to get working correctly, and then they change things over time and other stuff doesn't always change to match etc.

If you have any questions feel free to msg me or email me.

and a huge thanks to all our Supporting Members! You're appreciated and I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to pull a fast one here lol.

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Should have mentioned that this means you will need to manually renew your upgrade after it expires, should you choose to do so. If I figure this snafu out I'll try to put things back like they should be.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Believe mine renewed in late December, has this been a recent bug?

AFAIR, everything went normally

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Believe mine renewed in late December, has this been a recent bug?

AFAIR, everything went normally

Yeah I had that one up looking at it just a second ago trying to figure out wtf the deal is. It did.***

The further I look into this I think I'm starting to figure out whats happening. IF you had a recurring upgrade in place before I upgraded the site software to the 2.x family of the board software, this is where the problem is. Those profiles were set up differently, and then when the software updated, they basically broke that. So the "old" ones wouldn't work right any more. Here I was thinking this was just random but the more I dig into it I think that's what's happening. If you signed up after that, then it should be OK.

There's a couple of you guys that renewals are coming up in the first part of Feb. If I can be more confident about what's actually going on I'll turn that back on and see what it does, and look at the responses.

*** I was able to pull up the server responses and sure enough there are different responses for different profiles, based on (I think) when it was created, but this software really doesn't let me see that, I'd have to dig deeper into Paypal to know for sure.

Consider this an ongoing exercise. More to come.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I'm getting deja vu like I already fixed this a few times. Grr.

• Haha

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Administrator symbol: Is that a pencil, a stick, or an arm pitching a wadded up renewal over the shoulder?

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Mine renewed 08-Dec-2019.

My Paypal was set up to automatically renew. I didn't realize your site had anything to do with telling paypal to charge me? I just thought you'd get a receipt, see who it was, and tick them as supporter for another year.

Or do I have this completely screwed up... lol

-Gonz

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Mine renewed 08-Dec-2019.

My Paypal was set up to automatically renew. I didn't realize your site had anything to do with telling paypal to charge me? I just thought you'd get a receipt, see who it was, and tick them as supporter for another year.

Or do I have this completely screwed up... lol

-Gonz

Paypal does exactly that, BUT then Paypal is supposed to tell the site here "hey renew his status" but that was the failing part. So it'd charge you and do nothing. Only if you were upgraded before the cutoff when they changed the communication. Otherwise it'd work fine.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Don't know if you remember my issue a couple of months ago. But for some reason I didn't think my first year membership expired then i ended up paying again. Not a big deal but something to look out for. And I might be out to lunch about the dates anyways. 🤣

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Don't know if you remember my issue a couple of months ago. But for some reason I didn't think my first year membership expired then i ended up paying again. Not a big deal but something to look out for. And I might be out to lunch about the dates anyways. 🤣
I’ll check on that when I get back to a real screen. I think we figured it out but I’ll make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor