Surface rust on ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
ive completely stripped my 80 Malibu and I'm redoing the interior. I noticed on my roof above the cardboard like material that's above the headliner that my roof has service rust. Nothing coming through the top or anything but while I have the car stripped I painted everything with enamel. Should I remove that cardboard like material and paint the ceiling with the enamel also. It will prolly be a mess it seems that stuff is like glued to the roof.
IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

Also does anyone know what this is or even if it goes to a gbody. I was digging in an old box with a lot of my gbody parts and found it. Trying to put everything back together correctly.
IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    362.7 KB · Views: 126

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I would not scrape off the sound deadening cardboard to paint it.

That piece goes in the dash, on the left side...it looks like yours the little orange indicator needle is broken, but, that had a tiny cable that attached to the column to show what gear you have the car in.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I ended up removing the flaky cardboard, treated the surface rust, and painted it with a red oxide primer...and then sound deadened the roof.
You might as well paint it once it's all apart. Then you never have to look at it again. Just continue as you're doing.

The piece that you've shown is the shift indicator that's positioned behind the dash bezel, above the column. As mentioned, the indicator needle is broken off and the cable looks to be cut and missing the clip that goes to the revolving column collar.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I would not scrape off the sound deadening cardboard to paint it.

That piece goes in the dash, on the left side...it looks like yours the little orange indicator needle is broken, but, that had a tiny cable that attached to the column to show what gear you have the car in.
Thank you. That makes perfect sense why I removed it, floor shifter now. And good I don't want to do all of that work if I isn't have to. Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend it?

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I ended up removing the flaky cardboard, treated the surface rust, and painted it with a red oxide primer...and then sound deadened the roof.
You might as well paint it once it's all apart. Then you never have to look at it again. Just continue as you're doing.

The piece that you've shown is the shift indicator that's positioned behind the dash bezel, above the column. As mentioned, the indicator needle is broken off and the cable looks to be cut and missing the clip that goes to the revolving column collar.
My cardboard is pretty solid still. Stuck pretty well to the ceiling. I know it would be a mess and a pain to do, but I will do it if necessary. This car is garage kept and never driven in the rain I was just thinking about taking care of the rust as a preventative measure

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My cardboard is pretty solid still. Stuck pretty well to the ceiling. I know it would be a mess and a pain to do, but I will do it if necessary. This car is garage kept and never driven in the rain I was just thinking about taking care of the rust as a preventative measure
Do you plan to use any type of sound deadening in the interior and roof? If so, remove the cardboard and start fresh. Sand down the surface rust, treat the metal, and give it a good coat of paint. If you're using POR15, there's no need to treat the metal. The POR15 will encapsulate the rust.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Do you plan to use any type of sound deadening in the interior and roof? If so, remove the cardboard and start fresh. Sand down the surface rust, treat the metal, and give it a good coat of paint. If you're using POR15, there's no need to treat the metal. The POR15 will encapsulate the rust.
I don't really like to cut corners and I realized I cut quite a few corners when I did this car 4 years ago when I was 20, now I'm going back through and going above and beyond. If sound deadner is recommended above the headliner I will definitely throw some up there. I have it on my fooors and parts if my doors already. I just don't want to look back and say man I wish I would have done the roof 30 years ago....

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I don't really like to cut corners and I realized I cut quite a few corners when I did this car 4 years ago when I was 20, now I'm going back through and going above and beyond. If sound deadner is recommended above the headliner I will definitely throw some up there. I have it on my fooors and parts if my doors already. I just don't want to look back and say man I wish I would have done the roof 30 years ago....
I used sound deadening above the headliner, between the cross braces. I feel it helps quiet down the interior. I feel once it's all apart and you're adding sound deadening to the floors, etc, you may as well do the roof as well. Again, this is just my point of view.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
If you're wanting to do things "right", I would recommend removing the rust. Once rust starts it just keeps getting worse. Sometimes it happens slowly, sometimes it happens fast but once it's there, it's there and if you don't remove it, it will eventually get worse.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor