Surprisingly Disappointing Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Most car goons I happen across have zero clue that there was any kind of computer control in Gbody stuff. I guess they see a carb and figure it's straight old school. These cars in general are just too new to appeal to traditional muscle/hot rod people. They are the last proper GM cars and are still available for decent money if you forget about the collector cars. They ride a very strange timeline that alienates them from a large percentage of enthusiasts. Too old to appeal to tech savvy younger guys. Not a tri five Chev or something built between 1967 and 1971 which seems to be the only acceptable range of vehicles for faux car guys.
So, am I a "faux car guy" with a 67, 78, & 85? :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
I don’t really see where you can compare g bodies and AMCs. Not even in the same league IMO. When someone mentions AMC, I think of pacers, gremlins, spirits, and hornets. Nothing remotely close to a g body. The buyers or collectors of either groups of these cars probably don’t even have anything in common. There may be a few rare occasions, but for the most part, not the same.
The op is a wheeler dealer. He buys and sells cars. Does he collect? If a car won’t make money, why would a flipper buy it? They don’t. People who collect cars have a reason why they do what they do. Either sentimental reasons, desire, or to invest their money. These things are all determined by looks, performance, options, colors, and quality. I have read that AMC’s are becoming collectible and people are buying them. Again this is my opinion, AMC’s have none of these things I mentioned except colors.
No one knows how the market will go. Who would have guessed AMC’s would be desirable? G body cars have come around in value but not even close to muscle car era cars. Those cars bring money because they are muscle car era cars. That came and went. That era is over. A new horsepower war is on with the auto manufacturers but not muscle car era.
The value of the 442 he is referring to is a buyers choice. It is an ugly car. One only a mother could love or someone who likes different. It was never popular either. History determines value as well.
Last time I say this. It’s just my opinion. Find a different car to flip.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
So, am I a "faux car guy" with a 67, 78, & 85? :confused:
Looks like only 33.333% faux. The '78 and '85 bring your positive grade up to 67% which just so happens to be a failing grade. The only remedy for your situation is the immediate purchase of more Gbody cars!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Looks like only 33.333% faux. The '78 and '85 bring your positive grade up to 67% which just so happens to be still failing. The only remedy for your situation is the immediate purchase of more Gbodys!
Is there Extra Credit for the 85 being a daily? :cool:

• Optimistic

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'd like to get a dark blue on blue astro roof 87 442, stock, unmolested, #s match, original paint one day. Not likely though.
Well, if I had a sunroof on mine...

87 442 3 quarter view.JPG

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maybe someday you'll get bored with it, and maybe someday I'll decide the astro roof isn't worth the headliner difficulties and lack of replacement cable mechanisms...
Just get Donovan to fix it. :)

• Haha

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
I bought my 86 MCSS strickly because i have always loved the body style. Its no race car but it was an unmolested totally stock gbody. Super low miles which can be a good or bad thing. I payed all the money for it to. I didnt care because i intend on keeping it till the end. I wasnt looking for an investment.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't see cars as an investment in anything other than an investment in the pleasure you get out of life. With the initial cost, the insurance, the maintenance and the cost of have a place to park it you never see a profit like you would if you invested the initial cost and suplement that with what you would pay to keep the car over the years you would come out much further ahead....but that money can't ever give you the euphoria that you get when you drive the machine you built.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
I don't see cars as an investment in anything other than an investment in the pleasure you get out of life. With the initial cost, the insurance, the maintenance and the cost of have a place to park it you never see a profit like you would if you invested the initial cost and suplement that with what you would pay to keep the car over the years you would come out much further ahead....but that money can't ever give you the euphoria that you get when you drive the machine you built.
Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor