Suspension Opinions Needed/Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I'm getting ready to put my rear suspension in my car but still need the rear spings and shocks. I'd like to have some opinions on what everyone thinks would be a good combo. I'll outline what I'm looking for. Daily driven pro-touring style setup, with a stock ride height for now.

I currently have the 5662's in the front and I'm running a SBC. It's got the alum heads and Accel SuperRam. Granted both are alum but the heads are a bit heavier than regular alum heads and the Superram setup is quite heavy compared to a regular alum intake/carb setup. I'm also running a T56 & Lakewood bellhousing which is about the same weight as an automatic.

The 5662's are supposed to give close to a stock ride height and that's what I'm looking for at the present time. I may drop it some in the future but I want to see where it sits and what kind of clearances I get on ride height and headers, etc.

I was looking at the famous JeffD Moog chart ( http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm ) for a spring with a stock ride height that would compliment the front stock ride height. I *could* go with the stock rear springs but I was looking to increase the spring rate. It looks like the only spring that fits the bill from the chart are the 5659's @ 162#'s and stock height. Anybody ever use these springs? One advantage they seem to have is the open design on the top so they could be cut to lower later.

I'm also going to run the Bilstein shock, I just don't know which ones to get. Would you run the Monte SS or the S10 Bilsteins? I've heard the S10 shocks are better valved for the higher spring rates that I'll be using. Ideas?

I also plan to run the 36mm front bar and the SC&C/Spohn rear Pro-Touring bar along with the SC&C tubular uppers in the front with tall upper and lower ball joints (Stage 2 kit) and SC&C/Spohn rear control arms. Since I will be swapping to the S10 spindles for my C5 fronts brakes, dropped spindles will not be in the plans.

How does this setup sound? Any other Ideas? I'd like to get these parts ordered so I can finish up the rear suspension and start the wiring process. I can then get the dash back in. Thanks!

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Nobody...
............Nothing...
........................Geez...

.................................. :roll:

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
well what i did was get the 1" drop springs for my elky with the hotchkis f/r swaybars and new front shocks. i didnt get new rear shocks because the old ones are adjustable. and, i havent installed them yet.

Attachments

• IMG_4752.JPG
    IMG_4752.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 123

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
So... it looks like I'm the only one who's running a higher rate, stock height rear suspension...

I always knew I was the oddball...

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Keep in mind that tall balljoints from Marcus will lower your front some. Check with him since it's not a one to one ratio, IE 1 inch taller lower does not equal a one in drop.

For a true driver, I like the IAS shocks from edlybrock ;) , good balance between control and comfort.

Oh and yes, you are odd.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
shotgun said:
Oh and yes, you are odd.

Thanks Shotgun !!! 8)

Yeah I know the tall lower ball joints will lower a bit. Since I hate pulling the front coils to swap or cut a coil I thought I'd start there and then work on the rear coils. They are much easier to change out later.

The 5662's are supposed to be close to stock height, my engine weight is less than stock, and I'm *hoping* the tall lower ball joint will bring it back to stock height. We'll see where I end up. After everything settles home, then I'll know if and how much to drop the front if neccessary. I wanted an open coil rear spring so I can cut it where I need it. I've heard the 5413 lowers it and my luck, it'd be too low from the beginning. Also, some guys are saying the 5413's almost fall out if the right shock isn't used.

I'm building a true daily driver and we don't have the best roads known to man-kind. Plus, I'm now switching to 2451 Hooker long tube headers and I hate to have them drag.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Sounds like a smart setup to me Doug. Like Shotgun I also like the Edelbrock ISA.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I sure hope so. I ordered the 5659 springs today. Now I need to order at least the upper rear Del-Sphere Spohn control arms so I can get (this is gonna sound bad...) my rear end buttoned up. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor