Suspension refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
Good morning all. I have tried reading a bunch of threads but got my self more that confused and frustrated as there are so many different styles of setups and products. So I am hoping to get some real world experience of just making my car a little more up to date with technology and drive ability. I have bought Blazer spindles to do the brake upgrade and I am wondering how far to take the suspension refresh. 1980 Grand Prix with a swapped 5.3 NA 4L60. The car came factory with both front and rear sway bars but still has all the original rubbers. The car handles reasonably considering the age of everything. It does follow grooves in the road more than I like. This car is a summer DD and cruiser. I like the stance it has right now. So here are my questions. Firstly taller ball joints, I understand if I go with a taller lower then the car drops down a bit so I believe that I want to stay with only a taller upper. Doing taller ball joints causes the upper control arm to lay more flat so then you have to shim the lower out to get the proper camber. So secondly would it be better to change out the upper control arm and if so to what style. Because all of the rubbers are old obviously I want to replace all of them front and rear. So then the question becomes rubber or urethane or what other material. Moving to the rear as I am replacing the rubbers do I box the control arms. And anything that I missed please let me know. I won't be doing this until next winter but want to have a good handle on what I'm doing and buy parts as I go along

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
alot depends on what ride you want. if you have not changed the body bushings yet I would suggest that be the first thing you do. You need a solid platform to get the benefits of upgrades.

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If your running 15 inch wheels, if I’m right the 1/2 inch upper ball joint hits the wheels. If it’s only going to be a cruiser, go with stock style poly bushings everywhere. If you don’t plan on any form of road racing save the money for other improvements. I went all out with f+r tubular control arms, . I plan on driving it hard. I spent around $3,00,00 on my suspension. You can easily double that for some complete kits. Good shocks are a must.

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
I would recommend this for the front if you are worried about shimming the upper arms...

Tall ball joints will NOT interfere with 14" - 30" wheel size. You will want to use both tall uppers and lowers.

If you are going all out for unmatched handling, check out The Game Changer!

We can do all new tubular rear arms, adjustable upper and lower, all new hardware and poly bushings installed powder coated for $400 to you door.

Attachments

• SSParm - Copy.jpg
    SSParm - Copy.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 184
  • s-l500 (10)o.jpg
    s-l500 (10)o.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 183
  • s-l500r.jpg
    s-l500r.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 195
  • s-l500 (4).jpg
    s-l500 (4).jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 216
  • SSMG.jpg
    SSMG.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
alot depends on what ride you want. if you have not changed the body bushings yet I would suggest that be the first thing you do. You need a solid platform to get the benefits of upgrades.

Yeah Steve I was wondering about that. The old body mounts are really that crappy?? Okay that is likely in the plan too then.

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
If your running 15 inch wheels, if I’m right the 1/2 inch upper ball joint hits the wheels. If it’s only going to be a cruiser, go with stock style poly bushings everywhere. If you don’t plan on any form of road racing save the money for other improvements. I went all out with f+r tubular control arms, . I plan on driving it hard. I spent around $3,00,00 on my suspension. You can easily double that for some complete kits. Good shocks are a must.

Yes I am running 15 inch wheels and only as a cruiser so I don't need the $lot car $$u$$pension.

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
I would recommend this for the front if you are worried about shimming the upper arms...

I'm not worried about shimming, more wondering if that is the appropriate way to go. I realize that I can spend tons of money on this but never use the potential of what that would buy. My motto on things like this is the biggest bang for the buck. I still want a comfortable ride with good steering and not worry about it.

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor