Suspension upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayorjesse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Suspension upgrades questions

My '83 Cutlass Calais needs new shocks (it's like i'm floating right now:) ) all around and want to improve handling/stance, but I don't want a stiff ride. Any suggestions for a compromise? Everyone kinda goes all out, but I still want a nice cushy ride. I know GM kinda skimped on G-body handling components, I just don't know where to start improvements and still retain close to the OG luxury-soft ride.

Thanks for the help!

-jesse
'83 cutlass calais v6
(she gets a v8 for her 25th birthday)
t-tops
'87 euro front clip

Gbodyolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2006
for a standard style shock Bilsteins hands down nothing better

mayorjesse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Why are they better? I am considering cost effective alternatives, though Bilsteins seem to be top shelf, I'm just wondering if I can sacrifice their benefits over, say, the $100-$140 cheaper Monroe shocks. If they really do handle way better I'm gonna get them, I think I also read they don't wear quickly on a shock site comparison, but they all seemed to be company descriptions and I was wondering what really sucked and what's just a good all-purpose shock?
thanks.

Gbodyolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2006
I had sensetracks in my car and they lasted a few months at most. I drive hard and have a good handeling car and the streets of New York city are murder on suspensions. billsteins last a lot longer and give an excellent ride and handeling if you want an excellent all around shock these are them, bilsteins are gaurenteed for life too. I have herd a lot about the Edelbrock IAS shocks but have no personal experience with them they supposidly come in just under the bilsteins.

Renthorin

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
I run Monroe Sensatracs in my GN now and in my Cutlass back when it was alive.

I don't usually have problems with them but once and a while you get one that dies pretty quickly.

Monroe has a "limited lifetime" warranty just like Bilstien so I just take them back to the auto store and get a new one.

For me, they are all the shock I need and at the usual "buy 3 get the 4th free" deal down the street they are fine.

As long as the rest of your suspension is up to snuff they will be fine. Don't expect them to correct small/no swaybars and worn out springs.

mayorjesse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I would like to do the sway bars too, but I don't know where to start - what's a good start to the sway bars. I read sopmewhere that you can grab one off a camaro for a direct bolt in, where are the ones to be switched, etc. Thanks for all your help.

Renthorin

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
You can use the hollow bar from a 3rd generation Camaro -- 36mm part number 14094344 (or find it at a salvage yard). You use the stock cutlass chassis brackets but need to get new bushings.

Depending on what you currently have for a bar you could also move up to the larger bar that came on the SS, Hurst, 442, turbo Buicks. It is a 32mm bar.

Then there is the rear bar. If you have the smaller diameter bar now (or none at all) you could upgrade to the 22mm (7/8) one that came on the above mentioned cars. You can also go up to a 1.5 inch bar but some people do not like how stiff those make the rear end on the street -- I love mine.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
Renthorin said:
You can use the hollow bar from a 3rd generation Camaro -- 36mm part number 14094344 (or find it at a salvage yard). You use the stock cutlass chassis brackets but need to get new bushings.

Depending on what you currently have for a bar you could also move up to the larger bar that came on the SS, Hurst, 442, turbo Buicks. It is a 32mm bar.

Then there is the rear bar. If you have the smaller diameter bar now (or none at all) you could upgrade to the 22mm (7/8) one that came on the above mentioned cars. You can also go up to a 1.5 inch bar but some people do not like how stiff those make the rear end on the street -- I love mine.

this info is prefect for me because i dont have a rear sway bar now. im bout to go find a 19mm sway bar and buy it asap. so do i buy the cutlass sway bar bushings and put them on the camaro sway bar then install on my cutlass right.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
For sway bars, you don't need to find a performance model to get the good bars. They were optional on a lot of G bodies. (FE-3 suspension in Olds) If you find one in the junkyard with a V8 and a rear sway bar, it has the big ones on it. I pulled my front from a Grand Prix SJ and the rear is from a Monte Carlo.The front is 1 1/4 and the rear is 7/8 in, IIRC.I paid $20 a few years ago but they shouldn't be too pricey now. Just remember to pull all of the brackets and hardware at the time you take them as a few pieces are special and won't be easy to find otherwise. Pull the spacers from inside the rear lower control arms too while you are at it.Energy Suspension offers Polyurethane bushings for the front bar, the rear bar bolts directly to the lower arms and needs no bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor