CUTLASS Swap 3.8 with 383 stroker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I will be swapping 3.8 cylinder to a 383 stroker. Never been on a forum, so this is all new to me, hope I do things to satisfactory.
the car I am working is 86 cutlass supreme. From chattanooga tenn area.

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
Welcome - I'm going to suggest you get everything together before taking yours apart.
Im replacing all of the front end. this cutlass was in a barn for tears with only 42k, but all the rubber is dried out. so while I'm doing that, I am trying to find out what I can on the electrical part, I would like to use all the same gauges. The car is mint and I don,t know what I can use and what I can,t..

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The car is mint and I don,t know what I can use and what I can,t..
Buick 3.8 to a SBC there really isn't anything that will carry over to the new engine and you have to start by changing the frame mounts to SBC.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Welcome to the forum. Is your engine complete? Most 383s take a special oil pan and harmonic balancer

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
Buick 3.8 to a SBC there really isn't anything that will carry over to the new engine and you have to start by changing the frame mounts to SBC.
I got them on the way. I ordered a turn key 383 stroker everything is gonna be ready to go I’m just trying to figure out all the wiring

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I ordered a turn key 383 stroker everything is gonna be ready to go I’m just trying to figure out all the wiring
From where?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Your going to need the brackets for your accessories, fuel delivery needs to be re-routed, the trans has a different bolt pattern, and your going to have to decide on exhaust which could mean a new trans crossover mount. It would be nice to know the specs of the 383 which might require a converter, rear end gear change. Depending on the power you plan on having a rear end upgrade might be in order and a bigger radiator will be needed. I assume your going non computer control so you can remove that complete harness.

Last edited:

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
Your going to need the brackets for your accessories, fuel delivery needs to be re-routed, the trans has a different bolt pattern, and your going to have to decide on exhaust which could mean a new trans crossover mount. It would be nice to know the specs of the 383 which might require a converter, rear end gear change. Depending on the power you plan on having a rear end upgrade might be in order and a bigger radiator will be needed. I assume your going none computer control so you can remove that complete harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor