CUTLASS Swap 3.8 with 383 stroker

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You have ordered yourself a stout motor and the rest of your drive-train needs to complement it. Hope you have read over Skip Whites suggestions and use them @ the min. Your going to need good stall converter and if you use an OD trans the rear end needs to be pretty steep. At your HP I see no scene in putting money into a 7.5 rear. At the same time you should be thinking about suspension up grades. If you leave that rear end in there you will be very unhappy with bottom end performance - from Whites HP curves you can see where this engine wants to run.

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
You have ordered yourself a stout motor and the rest of your drive-train needs to complement it. Hope you have read over Skip Whites suggestions and use them @ the min. Your going to need good stall converter and if you use an OD trans the rear end needs to be pretty steep. At your HP I see no scene in putting money into a 7.5 rear. At the same time you should be thinking about suspension up grades. If you leave that rear end in there you will be very unhappy with bottom end performance - from Whites HP curves you can see where this engine wants to run.
Yes I understand what you’re saying a little bit I am going to be getting my money here soon I am going to skip whites myself to talk to him about the car I’m putting it in and his advise, and that’s why I got on this forum because it was to get some advice from somebody who has more expertise than I do even though I have built engines and done a few trucks, just playing around. I will by the end of this build Have gotten everything that I need to get. I was overwhelmed by the responses I got I didn’t think it would be that quick but my engine mounts came in today so I’ll be able to finish my front end. And I did all Moog front end and replace the springs with springs for a V-8. One step at a time.

Reactions: 1 user

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
What are you going to be using this car for and what do you want it to do?
You might think I’m nuts but I’m going to use it for my daily driver I just love horse power and I had a little van that I built that I put a 383 stroker in rated at 350 hp I think and I was really disappointed.didn’t have nothing like I wanted. I’m really hyper guy got always do something

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
For a daily your going to want low - mid range power and torque. I believe when you have a chat with Skip and tell him you want a DD he might persuade you in a different direction. The camshaft is going to dictate where you make power and I would use a dual plane intake to aid bottom end. On the other hand if you realize you have a higher rpm engine and the rest of the drive train complements it - go for it but it won't be a good daily driver. I'm north of 500 hp in my Regal, it's a lot of fun on the street but !!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
For a daily your going to want low - mid range power and torque. I believe when you have a chat with Skip and tell him you want a DD he might persuade you in a different direction. The camshaft is going to dictate where you make power and I would use a dual plane intake to aid bottom end. On the other hand if you realize you have a higher rpm engine and the rest of the drive train complements it - go for it but it won't be a good daily driver. I'm north of 500 hp in my Regal, it's a lot of fun on the street but !!
That’s what I want to do get full compliments all the way down through so everything works with everything and I’ll be talking more to you and whoever else

Attachments

• F540BCB8-3753-4EFE-8415-52B50D0D7236.jpeg
    F540BCB8-3753-4EFE-8415-52B50D0D7236.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 159

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
What year is that 3.8? I'm tryin something with mine & Internal GN motor parts...

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor