swap heat-only to ac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wants_a_wagon

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
So I'm a contrary type -- but with all the ac delete panels out there, I would think somebody had to do this.

I just looked at a nice Malibu with the popular heat-only box and all the other original stuff, like vent controls under the steering wheel, the dash controller, the correct behind-dash ducts and of course the correct wiring.

I'm likely to let somebody pick up the 'bu who wouldn't want to change it, but aside from picking stuff out of a junk car, is there an option to pick this stuff up new in a kit form?

http://www.rmsautoparts.com/index.php <-- this is a store with all the stuff ala carte, but the chevy a/c lines are out of stock, and you're still short the correct box and behind-dash duct system.

Any ideas?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Hey Matt! Glad to see you back in the hunt!
Harvesting all the parts out of a donor car(s) would probably be the easiest/cheapest route since they are more than abundant, and people seem to be ripping them out of their cars as fast as they can...
Otherwise there are a few aftermarket add-on systems available aimed at street-rods that can be retro-fitted into a G-body with relative ease.

Wants_a_wagon

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
Hi Blake!

The girls have made clear they'd rather be shot than ride in a wagon. My boy would ride in a hearse if I told him it was cool. But to be sensitive to the girls, I've been looking at a few cars of late.

The Malibu is as original as I have seen in the last 20 years. The only thing which needs replacing is the rear package shelf. Some years ago, he had it repainted really well, but you know painters and replacement of parts. One of the wheel wells has a little gap between it and the fender. There's just a tiny touch of rust in there and tiny touch in the doors. Neither is anything I am concerned about nixing.

If you recall any of the old unique upholstery, this is kinda like a synthetic sweater or something.

The car's not getting much interest, so I may go back and make an offer.

Thanks for the assist.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor