swaping 2dr to 4dr front seat belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
I was told the 2dr and 4dr are different.
The plan is to put my new front shoulders on my wagon retractors.
I know they aren't quite the right color but at least they aren't cut.
Here we go.
The 2dr is on the right and my wagons on the left

upload_2017-3-24_11-14-58.png

So what is different. they are laid out left right left right. (pass driver pass driver)
you can see the door release is on opposite sides of the brackets, relative to the left and right.
the button is also different

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
other than being on opposite sides and the button, the mechanics and bracket appear to be interchangeable.
upload_2017-3-24_11-30-44.png

upload_2017-3-24_11-31-15.png

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
The plastic piece holding the weight has to be swapped / stay on the correct side, as it has a tilted area where the weight hangs.

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
The B pillar mount is different but could be used. I'll swap'em.
upload_2017-3-24_11-36-1.png

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Following this, I figured it could be done, and I was going to do the same, but I lost my 2 door black belts, and Mikester hooked me up with 4 door black belts.

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
First I wound up the belt as much as I could so the spring would have the least tension. on the non spring side I just pried the cover off carefully and removed the parts one at a time.
upload_2017-3-24_13-55-40.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Do the same thing on the spring side. BE VERY CAREFUL!! Pry the cover off SLOWLY. The spring is still in tension!!. Don't let the cover slip! Hold it in place as you pry off the cover. SLOWLY let the cover unwind while counting the turns. DON"T LET GO!. When the tension is all released the cover AND spring can be removed TOGETHER! set aside. Leave spring in cover! make note of how many turns the cover unwound AND which direction.
upload_2017-3-24_14-2-49.png

• Informative

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Unwind the belt. Knock the pin out from the spring side. Just a little tap will do. remove the belt. remove the gear.
upload_2017-3-24_14-8-40.png

upload_2017-3-24_14-9-29.png

• Informative

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Now you can swap belts and / or B pillar mounts and / or the plastic bracket/weight the stops the belt during a crash.
Reassemble in reverse order.

Put the belt in the back of housing.
Put belt in slot of gear. Make sure the gear is oriented correctly.
Put gear in housing.
Insert rod in opposite side of spring. Make sure you put rod through gear AND the loop in the belt.
Whack pentagram side with a hammer to seat.
Reassemble spring. Put on ware shim. CARFULLY side spring / cover on to slot in shaft. HOLD ON TO IT and turn assemble the opposite way
you released it. HOLD ON TO IT!!!! Turn the same number of turn as you released. I gave it two more for goo measure.
Tap the 4 lock pins back into place. DON"T LET GO YET!! Make sure the cover is seated so the spring doesn't go flying.
Do other side assemble - wear washer - gear - plastic thing - metal stop - spring - plastic cover - tap in place.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor