Swapped a 500hp stroker in GN door side exit exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2010
Ive scrapped my 2nd turbo v6 motor for a 383 stroker v8 and i want to run side pipes like a stingray exit in front of the rear tires with my long tube hooker headers has anyone done this?

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Brisbon said:
Ive scrapped my 2nd turbo v6 motor for a 383 stroker v8 and i want to run side pipes like a stingray exit in front of the rear tires with my long tube hooker headers has anyone done this?
Just my opinion, I think that would take away the mystic look of the Grand National...... 8)

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
yep, but it's a pain in the *ss.
you really would need to run a shorty header, full length headers sit too far back to make the turn to the sidepipe. the only way i found way to run across the car--unfortunately this means you have to go under the transmission.
even with shorty's you may have an issue making the sharp turn into the pipe.

Brisbon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2010
Hum good point i noticed the lack of room with the long tubes, how about glasspacks under the floor the just a turn out pipe poking out in from of the rear tires?

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I hope those weren't 86-87 motors...

I say go with the 3" GN style tails. it looks like you mean business then haha

Brisbon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2010
3XBrownCutty said:
I hope those weren't 86-87 motors...n

I say go with the 3" GN style tails. it looks like you mean business then haha

Yeah two race built 500-600hp capable motors both built loose like a chevy both failing at the mains two different builders machined the billet main caps to the point of them falling out of the block! Ive had enough, bought a 383 500hp waranteed engine w 12months, 12k miles drop in ready cant beat that sh*t

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
Brisbon said:
Hum good point i noticed the lack of room with the long tubes, how about glasspacks under the floor the just a turn out pipe poking out in from of the rear tires?
that should look pretty good, seen it on a few cars.
there was one other thing i forgot to mention, that may also apply to side exit--loss of ground clearance.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Makes me wonder if you didn't have a way to tune and monitor your Turbo Buick. Some uniformed people turn up the boost and don't fuel it properly etc and kill them. Then after becoming broke and frustrated downgrade to something every bubba with a garage door has worked on and get replacement speed parts at the local Kmart on a blue light special. Yea put side pipes on it and big mud flaps then please paint it red and put Monte Carlo emblems on it. If you weren't looking to poke someone you would have just asked if anyone thought sidepipes looked good on a black regal. Or stated that you recently acquired a warranted 383 and was hoping to have better luck with it. Scraping two turbo Buicks sounds to a lesser degree like scraping (instead of selling, sour grapes) the Hemi in your original 70 Cuda for a Ford 347 stroker and putting a hugh ricer spoiler on the trunk.

Had to edit 318 for Ford 347.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
oh christ, here we go

TheFullMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2010
I had long tube header, 2`of 2.5` pipe into the shortest 2.5`glasspacks i could get, then turned out to exit just if front of the rear wheel. It was L O U D ! made it 6 blocks from the shop before I got pulled over and I wasn`t driving hard because I knew the cop was there. No ticket because was just on there to drive it to the body shop. But I would recommend using a lil quieter muffler if going that route. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor