Swapped Cluster to round need sensor/switch assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent1973

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2014
DFW
I completed the conversion but I am running into a problem with the oil pressure sensor. I've got a 1980 Malibu running a 94 350 enging and my wiring to the firewall to the current oil pressure switch/sender has two leads. The switch I have in there now has two leads and the oil/choke light worked. I swapped wires in the harness per the diagram to go from sweep to round with gauges. I bought an oil pressure switch at the parts store for an 85 Monte SS and it has only one terminal on the end and is enormous compared to the other one I made sure to get the switch for gauges versus dummy lights. The new switch is so much larger that it will not thread in to the hole behind the distributor without pulling the distributor. Do I have the wrong pressure switch/sending unit? Anyone else had this problem? Photo posted current switch is on the left and new one is on the right. It's been bugging me that the oil pressure gauge doesn't work.
pressure switches.JPG

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
That's the right sending unit for gauges. You can add a 45° elbow and a short piece of threaded pipe to make it fit.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
For the wiring, you'll have to trace the lead to find the one that matters. The switch circuit with the lights is a loop from the dash and back. The gauge circuit is a variable resistance to ground, so it only needs one wire. I have to do this job on the coupe eventually (so you may be training me in the future) but IIRC, since the terminal on the pressure sensor is offset, you may be able to use the existing plug, if you get the terminal plugged into the correct socket. Sorry I can't currently give you explicit instructions.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
The oil sender uses the tan wire.

bent1973

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2014
DFW
Thanks, as soon as I can get some more time I'll trace the tan wire down. I also found this diagram on maliburacing.com I think it is directly out of the service manual. I guess my search skills are off, I should have found that a long time ago. Maybe at least it might help someone else down the road.
OptionalGagePackage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor