Swapping 350 vortec in 1987 Cutlass. Anyone installed cruise control on a Vortec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
I'm trying to get everything together to install cruise. I would assume that in a Monte Carlo that the cruise control bracket is installed using one if the intake manifold bolts? Being that the vortecs bolts go up and down and not on an angle, I would assume the bracket from a Monte would not work. Unless its bolted to something else? Anyhow. I did purchase a cruise control harness from a Monte SS in the case that I would have to swap the OLDS 307 one out. Question is, has anyone done this swap? If so, what did you use? On the cutlass, it had the cruise module mounted to the top front of the engine. However, on my Grand National, the cruise module was installed on the drivers side plastic fenderwell. Low and behold, the drivers side of the cutlass has the exact same bosses to install a module there. What have you all done?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Summit is sending me a throttle/TV cable bracket for a Vortec manifold. I'll look it over when it gets here and see if it could be modified to also support the extra bracket for the cruise motor.

Fastmax32168

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
I took a complete electronic cruise assembly out of an early 90s chev truck/suburban and mounted it on the passenger fenderwell. It is electronic, self contained in one unit, and required only a few wires to hook up. The cruise control/ turn signal stalk off of that vintage truck fits as well. It works way better and has more features than the old vacum powered disaster I took off.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
Thanks guys. Instead of having to worry about a bracket on the intake manifold, I am strongly considering using one that mounts on the drivers wheel well. On my GN, it had a cable that looped from it, over the brake booster, and connected to the throttle linkage. I'd like to do something similar.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
post pics if you could. I took the cruise off mine when I installed the vortec intake and holley. Now that the qjet is back on I had to bend the braket for the kickdown and throttle but have not attacked the cruise ( yet )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor