Swapping a 6.0 ls into a G body

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
I know its been done a million times. Just not by me. Picked up a clean rolling shell 86' MCSS and am in the process of bldg an lq9 (pistons on back order since i went with 3.900 stroke). Currently trying to get front area perfect for when engine is finally ready i can atleast drop it in. Going to run ls7 intake on the mast heads if that makes a difference. in south florida so ac stays. What im trying to figure out is what the hell can i get rid of from the engine bay? harness? bunch of stuff. i bought as a shell so idk what went where in the bay.

Reactions: 1 users

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
Also reading people running into issues with motor mounts and cross members. Would like to get some help with all this if possible to maybe have less " aw f@ck" moments later down the line.

Reactions: 1 user

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Also reading people running into issues with motor mounts and cross members. Would like to get some help with all this if possible to maybe have less " aw f@ck" moments later down the line.

I'm not doing the work myself, but I am in the process of having an LQ9 6.0 and 4L80 installed into my 1979 Olds Cutlass. I have a build thread titled Project Diesel No More. The shop doing my install used the Holley engine mounts and transmission crossmember. Everything fit with no issues. I understand there is an additional crossmember add on that was needed because my original trans was a TH250. If you use the Holley crossmember, you should check with Holley to verify what you need for your specs. You may not need that additional piece if your original transmission was a newer unit. One other minor issue since you are keeping A/C, the clearance at the heater box is tight. I wanted to use the taller "coil hider" valve covers, but due to the tight clearance, I used standard valve covers and relocated the coils, as I am also keeping A/C.

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
We love to see pics, you will have plenty of people chime in with valuable info I'm just not one of them

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Following up, re the wiring harness question, I went with Holley Terminator Max X ECU and Dakota Digital dash (not fully digital, it looks similar to oem gauges, but with better tech). Dakota Digital makes an add on module that is a direct interface with the Holley ECU. So, none of the original engine harness was needed, and the level of effort for gauge wiring was drastically reduced. I also ordered a cruise control unit from Dakota Digital.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You have some things that aren’t adding up.

What are you goals? Asking because if you’re planning to run expensive heads, then either you plan to be racing or have a lot of money to burn. Not that there is anything wrong with burning a bunch of money, but for a street car you’ll be burning it.

Putting a stroker kit into the 6.0, getting the heads a fresh valve job, proper cam, springs and headers can yield 600 crank hp and still be driveable.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I'm interested to see how you are getting them LS7 Heads on a 6.0l
I would have accepted 821 or 823 heads, but LS7? Why would you want to have big cube, high rpm tuned ports on a small cube, low rpm build. It's like admitting you hate low rpm torque in your street car, not to mention the self imposed limit you have for really good intakes.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I would have accepted 821 or 823 heads, but LS7? Why would you want to have big cube, high rpm tuned ports on a small cube, low rpm build. It's like admitting you hate low rpm torque in your street car, not to mention the self imposed limit you have for really good intakes.
I have a set of 823’s that I don’t intend to use if you’re interested.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Those heads work better on a 4.100" bore, will work on a 4" but better on a bigger bore.
Anything 4" or under the Cathedral Heads work great.

LS7 Heads require a minimum 4.100" if I remeber right, so yea still want to see how this person is building this setup.

MAST Heads are mentioned so it may be the small bore LS7 Heads they make, which will go on the 4" bore. They like RPM's tho so there's that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor