Sway bar brackets threads stripped out

Status
Not open for further replies.

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Need some advice on how to fix this. I was installing my front sway bar and when I was torquing the bolts for the frame brackets the bolt let go and took all the threads out the frame with it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or this kind of repair? Metal seems too thin for a helicoil. Thanks!

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
On the passenger side there are holes in the frame for the idler arm bolt access you should be able to put nuts on the bolts with needle nose pliers.

On the drivers side you will need to pull the bumper and shock and insert the nuts from there. One trick is to use metal strapping used to secure pallets. Tack weld a nut to the a piece of strap and slide it into the frame horn.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Drill and tap to the next larger size. You can use metric as well when finding the next size larger.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have drilled out the frame and re tapped it in the next size up and then opened up the holes in the sway bar mount to that size and used Allenhead bolts to give the extra clearance needed because of the larger diameter.
I also do this in 1/2" for the frame mounts on the jounce bars

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

Better bring those forearms to set the things.

KQNUh.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
On the passenger side there are holes in the frame for the idler arm bolt access you should be able to put nuts on the bolts with needle nose pliers.

On the drivers side you will need to pull the bumper and shock and insert the nuts from there. One trick is to use metal strapping used to secure pallets. Tack weld a nut to the a piece of strap and slide it into the frame horn.
This worked great on the passengers side.

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Okay so to finish this story off I ended up using rivet nuts and installing them with a diy tool, installing them was a pita but they're in, and the sway bar is installed. Thanks Everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor