sway bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
which sway bar works best frame are loc mounted .does thickness matter going on a 87 cutlass and does the frame mount have to be adjusted once mounted. want to keep it simple

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
which sway bar works best frame are loc mounted .does thickness matter going on a 87 cutlass and does the frame mount have to be adjusted once mounted. want to keep it simple
Are you asking about the rear bar?the chassis mounted ones are far more efficient by design than the ones that mount to the lower control arms.they're some that are solid and some that are tube.so naturally there's a weight difference to be had.bigger isn't always better either.sway bars aren't a one size fits all,the ones that have say a few different settings(holes)offer more options to increase or decrease the effective rate of the bar.so rather than $helling out for one bar big heavy bar.the adjustable tubular ones are a better option because you can drive it on one setting and see what you like and make changes,with that one bar. they do require a small amount of adjustment upon initial install and that's usually based on what you intend on doing with it. they're not very hard to dial in.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
Are you asking about the rear bar?the chassis mounted ones are far more efficient by design than the ones that mount to the lower control arms.they're some that are solid and some that are tube.so naturally there's a weight difference to be had.bigger isn't always better either.sway bars aren't a one size fits all,the ones that have say a few different settings(holes)offer more options to increase or decrease the effective rate of the bar.so rather than $helling out for one bar big heavy bar.the adjustable tubular ones are a better option because you can drive it on one setting and see what you like and make changes,with that one bar. they do require a small amount of adjustment upon initial install and that's usually based on what you intend on doing with it. they're not very hard to dial in.

thank for info well my next question... their have been other post were members have install bars they have gotten from salvage yard. ???? is their a the brackets and links kit for this grade i can purchase .. wonder if the saving is worth the trouble of hitting up the junk yard for the parts or buy all new parts ..the parts i have seen in my area is covered heavily with rust . im looking at a rear sway bar up grade.

thanks for advise

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've heard of people swapping in a rear sway bar from a 99-04 s-10 blazer.i've never done it but i'm sure if you look around on line you'll find someone talking about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor