Switching from analog to rally gauge cluster-80 Olds cutlass sup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutlass 3:16

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2018
Atlanta
Looks like we typed the correct link at the same time (y)
Hey, we got everything and wired up but there is some buzzing feedback coming from the dash.. any idea what that could be? Mechanic think its a faulty speedometer/cruise cable.. I thought the tachometer was supposed to filter that buzzing and jumping

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
WHAT is jumping? The tach or the speedometer? Is the circuit board tight?

If the speedo is jumping around, the cable may be messed up. It's called "whipping". That could also be the source of your buzzing. Does the buzz happen all the time or only when you're moving? If it's the speedo cable, obviously you will need a new cable.

On the tach, if it's jumping around, it could be a filter thing, or could be the orange clip thing on the back. You put the orange clip in the 6 or 8 slot, depending on which engine you have, a V6 or V8. It wasn't until 86 or 87 they figured out that they should just solder a jumper piece across the tabs because the clips always became loose or missing over the years. If the clip is loose, you could be making contact and then not, as the dash vibrates so does the clip. Thus, the tach jumps around.

I'm not there. So I'm only saying it's some possible things to consider when troubleshooting.

Reactions: 3 users

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
Does anyone have a list of the correct part numbers for the Water Temp and Oil pressure gauge sensors…. I'm finding a ton of contradictory information…. might help to just know a part number someone is currently using. My rocket was originally out of a 1970 Delta 88 if that matters?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Does anyone have a list of the correct part numbers for the Water Temp and Oil pressure gauge sensors…. I'm finding a ton of contradictory information…. might help to just know a part number someone is currently using. My rocket was originally out of a 1970 Delta 88 if that matters?
Try to go with the year of the car as you need to match the sender to the car gauge.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
.. there's something that needs to be added on the firewall to prevent the needles from jumping around.. does anyone know where that could be purchased?
I think you’re referring to the capacitor / condenser that was factory installed on the Monte Carlo‘s with tachometers. To my knowledge the G body Cutlass tachometer never required this part. You can direct wire the tach from the distributor lead on a cutlass.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor