Switching to floor shift????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The step with removing the old shifter and nub was a given. The step to make the ignition/trans still work like their supposed to has me a bit confused. I pulled some parts off of an 86 Monte at the Upull yard,it had the buckets and console GONE already.When checking the tilt columb,the tilt joint (don't know what it's really called) was so sloppy the upper section with the steering wheel would move about 3 inches in every direction. So I left it be not having ANY idea how/if to fix that problem.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The step with removing the old shifter and nub was a given. The step to make the ignition/trans still work like their supposed to has me a bit confused. I pulled some parts off of an 86 Monte at the Upull yard,it had the buckets and console GONE already.When checking the tilt columb,the tilt joint (don't know what it's really called) was so sloppy the upper section with the steering wheel would move about 3 inches in every direction. So I left it be not having ANY idea how/if to fix that problem.
That column was sloppy due to the torx bolts I mentioned prior being loose. There is a good write up online with pics and details of how to fix that issue. Just google "loose steering column". Better yet, I found it.....

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/#/topics/27192

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Even a sloppy Gbody tilt column is worth grabbing, they are not that hard to get back to good working condition and the average CL price around here is about $150 the more complete and better working the more money.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Guys would discard otherwise good usable columns not being aware that they could be tightened up and brought back to life. Floor shift columns are sought after....and even column shift/ tilt columns are usually already gone whenever I spot a G-body car in the junkyard.

• Agree

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada

The factory used a series of rods, whether floor shift or column shift to lock the column/ignition key cylinder, along with neutral safety switch functions etc..

Here is the rod connected to the trans....

6nNlBt.jpg

The rod to the right that goes up...heads up to the column tab , you can see the one that goes to the trans, and when the column shift lever is moved through the various gears motion is transfered via the long rod to the lower rod setup and shifts the various detentes in the trans.

MS7I9G.jpg

When using a floor shift (automatic of course) the same really applies, expect that there is a slightly different bracket on the trans to accept the cable attachment at the trans. The long rod is still present to lock the column/ignition cylinder etc.

2Ymxlw.jpg

Hope this helps some...

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's a relatively simple/ straight forward system once you understand how it works.

Thank you Kevin for your explanation of how it works...it will certainly help others.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
It's getting alot clearer now,Thanx guys. I'm going to the Pull it yard today they have a 2000 something Monte SS that I might get the buckets from. If the 86 Monte columb is still there I'll grab it.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's getting alot clearer now,Thanx guys. I'm going to the Pull it yard today they have a 2000 something Monte SS that I might get the buckets from. If the 86 Monte columb is still there I'll grab it.
Doug,
Make sure those seats aren't too wide. Bring a tape measure with you. If the column is cheap enough, grab it.
Does your car have the inboard bucket seat mounts?

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
That Monte went to the crusher. No luck on seats. But was checking out a nice pair in an 08 VW Beetle.The size seemed good and it has the shoulder seat belt guide that Elcos need. There was a 1 inch cut in the drivers seat tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor