T-350 detent cable ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have several types of T-350 detent downshift cables in my collection. Some have a long slotted end and some have a little plastic clip on the end. Are they functionally the same or is there a difference? Don't they both connect to the stud on the carb the same way or what ?
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My thinking is this: it's a detent cable on a TH350, it doesn't have to move 1:1 with the throttle. I've always used the slotted ends adjusted to at WOT it shifts down into 2nd, or 1st depending on your current gear.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'm finding that the difference is in where the cable is located by the bracket. The slotted end is usually mounted behind the accelerator cable mount point, the clip style has the detent cable located slightly ahead of the accel cable location. BTW,GM used dozens of different brackets, even on a common engine like a SBC, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

It's been a real PITA trying to find the right (correct) bracket for the coupe. I'm about ready to unload this POS on somebody with more time to correct all the stupidity of it's previous owners. Next time, I'm buying a running driving one.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow I didn't even consider the mounting bracket. That changes everything, thanks Brian. EDIT: Yup, the bracket I will be using has the detent cable mount slightly behind the throttle mount, maybe an inch or two.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I spent a lot of time on RockAuto comparing cables to Pontiac applications. I found four different types of cable ends and many different lengths. The carb I will be using takes the plastic clip end. I finally decided to get the longest cable w/clip I could with an adjustment set screw on the cable. That way I have lots of extra length as well as the option of lengthening/shortening the actual clip end of the inner cable. That should cover me for whatever combination of engine parts I end up using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor