T-Top Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 2 sets of t-tops and all have the plastic molding on the edge of the glass is broken. I have looked for replacements but come up empty. Do any of you know where to get replacements or have an idea on what I can use....thanks

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
20164509- short channel, front or back, 4 per car.

20154510- long channel, inside edge, 2 per car

Long discontinued from GM.

As I understand it, sometime in 1986 the channel version was no longer used and the tops had no plastic trim. They had a "Type 1" and "Type 2".

The plastic channels age and get brittle over time and eventually crack in some cases. If you bought new glass panels back in the day, they came pre-installed. But you could have bought them separately as well. I think I have the last NOS set on the planet. They're already bevel cut and the correct length and material, so I'm set.

If you can find some sort of black plastic channeling, you may can replicate it. It's simply glued to the channel. I believe with butyl strip caulk.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If I can find them in storage, I'll see if I can dig them out and take some measurements.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you're putting in new gaskets, you may can just remove the channeling as the new seals wouldn't be pre-squished for the channels. Just an option.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you're putting in new gaskets, you may can just remove the channeling as the new seals wouldn't be pre-squished for the channels. Just an option.

I thought about that since I'm putting on new seals. I just thought I'd try to find the edging. I saw in your post in another thread that the complete kit was something like $10.70 in 84....

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, it was dirt cheap way back when. I'll see if I can find that box they're in.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
That looks a little bulky, as I mentally compare to the ones on my 83 HO.
Mine do come off the glass if Im not careful when removing tops off car. They get wedged between the top plate and rubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor