T-top rod retainer lock-pin bushings? Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hmm. Ran across these "bushings" that some of the resto websites are peddling. What's the purpose? I looked at my car and didn't see any of these white nylon bushings (T-tops lock in tighter than Dick's hatband), plus, can't find them in the parts book, and the NOS pieces I have don't have any in them. Parts book calls them a "guide" and they fit all G-body T-tops. Am I missing something here? Literally and figuratively? Has anyone actually used or needed these? They say they're for eliminating T-top rattling. I'm failing to understand this.

t-top lock rod bushings.jpg

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
probably upgraded variants of the original parts. seals push the tops up, and when locking them down, the metal on both the rod and the retainer wear down. the openings may be larger to have the plastics in and reduce metal-to-metal rubbing noises. our cars were designed as throw away cars once they reached a certain age, so there's probably not many around with them in them.

*edit* just re-read original post, didn't catch the "aftermarket" the first time around.....:speechless:

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
My 87 has them, but only in the front. My brothers 85 GN is supposed to have them but they are missing and it always sounds like his tops are going to explode on our wonderfully smooth PA roads.

20190324_112205.jpg 20190324_112245.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I wonder if the pins are different sizes maybe on the 86-87??? I wouldn't think so, but you never know. I've only had the tops off the 85 about 10 times in its life, so pin wear likely isn't the issue. I checked with a flashlight in the holes and there are no bushings on my car's pin holes. Seriously. Hmmm. Interesting. It's been way too long since I owned my gray 87 with T-tops to remember.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Most people probably had the t tops off 10 times within the first month of ownership :mrgreen:
About 5 for me during the first month. But I was so afraid of causing leaks if I kept taking them off and putting them on, so I rarely took them off. I'd say just today when I took mine up to look for those bushings, which weren't there, by the way, was the first time in nearly 20 years the latches came loose. The glass was sorta semi-stuck to the rubber, but did finally come loose with a little wriggling so I could lift the top up. Still no outward signs of rust, but the secondary seals on the L-plates (peel and stick ones) are drying up a little and shrinkage setting in on those. The 34-year-old T-top rubber is getting pretty firm and doesn't want to flex away from the body without some effort. But so far I don't see any rusticles.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I took both tops off and the backs have a metal bushing but the fronts have no bushing. It seems that the rods are the same size.
20190324_190218.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
About 5 for me during the first month. But I was so afraid of causing leaks if I kept taking them off and putting them on, so I rarely took them off. I'd say just today when I took mine up to look for those bushings, which weren't there, by the way, was the first time in nearly 20 years the latches came loose. The glass was sorta semi-stuck to the rubber, but did finally come loose with a little wriggling so I could lift the top up. Still no outward signs of rust, but the secondary seals on the L-plates (peel and stick ones) are drying up a little and shrinkage setting in on those. The 34-year-old T-top rubber is getting pretty firm and doesn't want to flex away from the body without some effort. But so far I don't see any rusticles.

IIRC, this car sits in storage a lot, right? I'd hit those seals with some 303 aerospace to help them last as long as possible.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
IIRC, this car sits in storage a lot, right? I'd hit those seals with some 303 aerospace to help them last as long as possible.
Yeah, you're right. I'm not too particular about "saving" the seals because all that's got NOS replacements waiting in the wings. They're still soft and pliable like new. THEN I'll be hitting them with dressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor