T-top Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyleh24

n00b
Nov 17, 2014
My T-tops in my 83 H/O appear to have a plastic u-shaped molding that goes directly on the edge of the glass of the T-tops. It would be in the shape of a "U" and would wrap around 3 sides of the glass edge. It is similar to what a door edge molding in black would look like. I have searched high and low on the web (gbody etc) and do not see this product. Can anyone help? Mine is broken at one corner and contributes to a leak. Thanks, Kyle 83 No 1069 84 No. 2689

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Nothing from GM or the aftermarket... you will have to improvise by either buying up T-tops and salvaging the trim and reselling them or finding products out there with similar trim such as poster boards etc...

Kyleh24

n00b
Nov 17, 2014
Wow. That is really strange since the aftermarket has Every other piece of molding, headers etc. Has anyone tried or considered Door Edge Guard? Kyle

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
We thought about making the edging but feel it may not be that necessary. The locking ttops version didnt even have the edging. I had edging on my GN, took it off, looks cleaner IMO.

Kyleh24

n00b
Nov 17, 2014
I have not taken mine off, but it sure seems like there would not be a tight fit without it. I get wind noise where it is messed up at the rear corner.
I have a full set of the body trim, just have not tackled that as it seems like an extensive task and removing almost every piece of plastic trim up there.
Surely I can't be the only one to have this issue?
Thanks for the replies!

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Kyleh24 said:
I have not taken mine off, but it sure seems like there would not be a tight fit without it. I get wind noise where it is messed up at the rear corner.
I have a full set of the body trim, just have not tackled that as it seems like an extensive task and removing almost every piece of plastic trim up there.
Surely I can't be the only one to have this issue?
Thanks for the replies!

You may be correct as the older weather stripping is molded to the wider glass because of the channels. When I replaced mine I was replacing the weathers tripping as well so the new rubber conforms well to the glass

RynoC23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2012
Florida
I was curious what you may have come up with for a suitable replacement for the trim around the 3 edges of the glass? I have an '85 Monte and the tops I have are non locking and the black edging is cracked in several places. Still all there but very cracked. I have come across a really cheap set of very nice locking tops from a Regal but it seems that none of the locking tops came with these edges (which really makes me curious about the difference in the roofs. I thought they were all the same). I'd love to pick up these locking tops, but would be pointless if they fit so damn loose I can't use them. Just wondering if you've come up with something or even know more about the difference. Thanks!

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
my GP came with an extra set of t-tops that were the non-locking type, and has the locking type already on the car... the non-locking does have the trim on the perimiters of the glass, and also have locating tabs on the edges that mate up to the center bar of the car... my center bar doesn't have a receiver for these tabs, and with the new seals like Toby mentioned, they won't fit into the gap in the centers anyhow..... was always wondering about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor