T10 4 speed question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys I have a T10 4 speed from a 63 vette (cast iron body) going in my 78 malibu. Got everything mocked up and it fits nicely.

Then i checked the cover bolts and tailshaft bolts and while “snug” they werent exactly as tight as i would have expected. Now I am wondering about the input shaft bearing retainer (round cover around the input shaft with 4 bolts)

To ease my mind i might pull the transmission back out. I cant find torque specs anywhere.

How tight are these bolts supposed to be (bearing retainer, side cover, and tail shaft)??

Also, can bearing retainer leak fluid if not torqued down correctly??

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Probably around 12lb-ft for 5/16 bolts and 20 for 3/8 bolts. Front retainer could leak if loose. If you drop it back out, I'd probably take the retainer off, clean everything up, and smear a film of RTV before reinstalling.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If you have a FSM for you '78 look up 83mm 4 speeds for specs. Don't know why other than something in the T10 is 83mm for GM to ID manuals by the xxmm size.

Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Ok will do. Yeah i think Im gonna pull it. Will only take a minute.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Any sealer needed on any of these bolts?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Maybe not necessary but wouldn't hurt.
I read last night that the retainer on a t10 for gm does not have a seal and something to the effect that fluid is designed to drain back if it gets up to the retainer. Should I still RTV? I also read that I SHOULD seal the bolts (same source) but doesnt mention the sealer, i know bolt sealer is a hot topic. Should i use a teflon type or the brown permatex aviation "shellac" type?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I read last night that the retainer on a t10 for gm does not have a seal and something to the effect that fluid is designed to drain back if it gets up to the retainer. Should I still RTV? I also read that I SHOULD seal the bolts (same source) but doesnt mention the sealer, i know bolt sealer is a hot topic. Should i use a teflon type or the brown permatex aviation "shellac" type?
Well to reply to my own post..Im gonna use the brown permatex aviation sealer on all exterior thru bolts. I do not think I am going to go with any RTV or gasket on the bearing carrier. I think RTV would just smear into the bearing race (probably not good) and if my older model wasn't designed to have a seal there then I think I will trust it and leave it that way.

Any reccomendations on fluid type?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Just remember that the old T-10s were not particularly strong. That is why the Muncie was developed to super-cede them and take on the high powered big blocks of the day. It is probably as strong as a cast iron Saginaw. They used regular 90 weight gear oil same as a rear end. Any modern oil is a vast improvement over 90 wt. If you have a very strong motor you may want to upgrade to 75W-140 synthetic LS oil. That is meant for limited slip rears but works well in a manual trans too. No matter what oil you use , I like to add a bottle of the GM limited slip additive. It causes the oil to cling to hot metal and helps smooth shifting. I use it in my Saginaw.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor