T10 4 speed question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Just remember that the old T-10s were not particularly strong. That is why the Muncie was developed to super-cede them and take on the high powered big blocks of the day. It is probably as strong as a cast iron Saginaw. They used regular 90 weight gear oil same as a rear end. Any modern oil is a vast improvement over 90 wt. If you have a very strong motor you may want to upgrade to 75W-140 synthetic LS oil. That is meant for limited slip rears but works well in a manual trans too. No matter what oil you use , I like to add a bottle of the GM limited slip additive. It causes the oil to cling to hot metal and helps smooth shifting. I use it in my Saginaw.
Ok good tip, I think I’ll try that. I should have around 400 at the crank I am guessing but I don’t drive hard, just cruise.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Probably the biggest thing you can do to insure the longevity of the trans [and motor] is to have the right gears out back. It kills me to see guys build high powered motors and use manual transmissions but keep the crummy granny gears in the rear. That strains everything and eventually something is going to break. If you can mulitply the transmission first gear and the rear end gear, and get as close as you can to a 10 to 1 ratio, then you are doing the drive-train a huge favor. At that ratio it takes practically no clutch slippage to get rolling from a stop. Acelleration is crisp and the motor can do what it does best. Parts last longer.

Reactions: 2 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I pulled the trans by the way.The bearing retainer did have a gasket (I did not expect it to) but when holding the retainer on I could slip the gasket in like a feeler gauge indicating it is too thin based on what Ive read. I happened to have some thicker material which would not slide between the two surfaces so I cut my own gasket. Also used aviation sealer on the threads.

The side case I found to only have 1 thru bolt (bottom right corner) and Judging by the outside of the case, the tailshaft has all blind holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor