T50 to T5 transmission swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Here's a question I'm sure nobody knows the answer to since it's such an uncommon occurrence but...

Anybody know what's involved in swapping a factory T50 transmission setup in a 78 Cutlass ( with an Olds engine ) to a T5?

All the info I seem to find is generic auto to manual trans swap and stuff pertaining to Chevy engines.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would try to source out an Olds bell-housing that would mate with the T5. T5s built prior to about 1992 use the standard Muncie/Saginaw bolt pattern and input shaft

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
What does the clutch pedal linkage look like? The G-body used a 'bent' clutch arm, but I don't know what the T50 used. I have a couple BOP bellhousings, but both turned out to be from non-Gs. Not sure if you can mix and match T50 and T5 linkages.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
A T5 uses the same bellhousing pattern as the 4-speed. I'm looking forward to hearing about a T50. This is only the third one of these I've ever heard of.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
great question. something I've been wanting to do for awhile. i hate the shift pattern.

t50 shift pattern
R 2 4
1 3 5
t5 shift pattern
1 3 5
2 4 R

here is some of what i know.
olds bell housing are all the same, they are a BOP housing with a dual transmission bolt pattern. the first pattern is for traditional muncie/saginaw/t5. the second pattern is for the ford HD 3speed trans that was offered back in the 60's. both of my t50 equipped cutlasses have this bell housing.
the t5 is the hard part. t5 trans from gm came in several configurations. the f body trans from the 80's were either a v8 with 26 spline input shaft or a v6/4cylinder 14 spline input shaft. the v8 trans have the correct input shaft length where as the other input shaft is 5/8" too long. this added length can be correct with either a saw or a spacer plate.
also, the f body trans were rotated counter-clockwise 17 degrees and is reflected in the bell housing and in the trans mount. when bolted to the olds bell housing, the trans mount is now rotated 17 degrees clockwise. a custom adapter needs to be fabricated because of this angle.
starting in about 88-89, speed-o-meter cables were replaced with vehicle speed sensors.
now, can you mount the t5 at the 17 degrees twist like the f body, maybe, but you may not have enough material on the bell housing or a rib may be in the way.
can you mount a ford t5 and use the ford pattern, no, it doesn't match. ford changed their trans patterns like a teenage girl changes outfits.
then there is the gear ratios, v8s have the best gearing. v6s are about the same as the t50.
i'm not sure if the t5 shifter has the same location as the t50, but it will be close.

next up is the t5 from the s10 trucks. these trans are mounted in the normal up right position, but the shifter is mounted in the middle of the trans, compared to the f body which is at the end of the trans. i think you could make this shifter location work, butt does not fit in the factory g body locations.
these trans follow the f body trans with similar v6 gearing and speed-o-meter cables and input shaft length.

clutch disc would need to match trans input shaft and driveshaft length may need to be adjusted.

all t5 trans starting in about 93, f body and s10, switched to the ford pattern. f body trans continued with the rotated trans and the s10s still had the mid shift shifter location.

i'm plan is to try the t5 from a v6 firebird, i will redrill the trans pattern on the bell housing and may have to add material for trans to bell housing mounting bolts. it has the speed-o-meter cable. change the clutch disc, install my new hurst shifter. i'm not sure if i will modify the input shift length or buy a spacer from bendtsen.com and adjust driveshaft.
joe

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Where is the shifter location on a T50? I have two Astro van T5s that have the Ford-pattern mid case. Although they are non-World class they have a 3.50 first gear like the Saginaw, and a 0.73 overdrive. 1"x14-spline input shaft. The shifter is about half way between the F-body and S10 tailhousing positions, and the trans mount is vertical, not rotated like an F-body. I also have several S10 GM pattern mid case T5s. It would be an interesting swap for a T50, some assembly required.
DSCN4831.JPG

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/borg-warner-t5-id-tags.htm

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Astro van T5s
unicorn parts. I've heard of them but never seen one of them. i have almost every variation but one of them. i don't know the shifter distance on the t50.
joe

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The 4.3 V6 versions came with an 11" 168-tooth bellhousing drilled for the Ford mid-case pattern. Truly unicorn parts. I tried to get Allstate Gear in San Antonio excited about recasting them, but the deal fell apart. http://www.allstategear.com/

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor