T56 in a G-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnqracer

n00b
Oct 25, 2005
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hey all. I'm in the process of swapping the tired 350 and TH200 out of my '80 malibu and transplanting the built 355 from my old race car with a T56 into my 'bu. Anyone out there running the T56 with the stock '97 Camaro style "pull" hydraulic clutch set up? I have an old '81 V6 3 speed stick 4dr 'bu for the pedals and stuff, but I'm not quite sure how or where exactly to mount the clutch master cylinder. There doesn't appear to be much room below the brake booster. Will I have to run a smaller diameter one or go with manual brakes? Any help will be appreciated. Idid a few calculations and with my 9" ford rear with 4.71's (yes, I said 4.71's) I should be able to pull off a low 12 sec pass in the 1/4 and still have a top speed of about 175mph!!!! Gotta love the .5 overdrive. lol Highway crusing at 70mph...2200rpm WITH the 4.71's. I can't wait to pilot this beast. lol

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Keisler Engineering in the States has a kit for doing the manual trans swap in a G body. I know its probably not exactly what you're looking for, but there might be some ideas for you by checking out their parts. Hope this helps.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
U can run the clutch of your choice. The location of the clutch fork opening is about the only prob sometimes. The T5 trans being angled helps.
The clutch master will fit below the brake booster with no probs. The hole is already ther if u have cruise but u will have to relocate the cruise wiring and vac hose. I'm going to just remove mine since I won't need it.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Try John Bzdel's Site

John's site has step by step detail of putting an LS1 with T-56 into a G-Body. It has details of setting up the clutch parts. He even sells some of the parts needed for the conversion. The link is http://home.earthlink.net/~bzdel/ Also G-force sells a new cross member you need to install the T-56. http://www.geocities.com/gforcejohn/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor