Tach reading goofy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Hey all, not sure if this is electrical or interior forum section, but I need help regardless. The tach in "Grandpa", my new to me 84 Cutlass is reading what seems to be 800-1000 rpms too high. The car is all original, very much virgin and untouched, so I'm at a loss for what would cause that. Is this a common problem? Thanks for insight.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
There is someone else having tach issues as well.
Here is a link to that post and you can read my reply's as they will quite likely apply to you too;
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I doubt it will help you, except gm is gm...

Back when I owned fieros, there was 'something' about them that cause them to read at about 500 to 1000 rpm even when the engine was off. I remember being told on forums how common it was as a problem, but, that was 20 years ago so I can't remember why they did it.

Might be a similar issue though, just a suggestion of somewhere to dig if you have no other leads at a moment in time.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
This issue with the cutlass rally pack is well documented. There is a switch on the side of the rally pack that lets you choose between a six or 8 cylinder. If the contacts get corroded it will cause erratic tachometer readings. You can clean the contacts and hope for the best or solder in a jumper wire to fix it.

Reactions: 2 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Thanks for the reply fellas. My son also has the rally pack in his Cutlass wagon and it used to jump around, so we figured it was the filter. The car was in an accident and we haven't got around to rebuilding it yet so we never did check the filter. The 4 door doesn't seem to be erratic at all, it's just reading too fast. Anubis- Thanks for that insight!! I will definitely look into that. Maybe that's the issue with both cars?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor