Tach reading high/repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I acquired a set of gauges for my 81' LeMans(3.8 V6) which has dummy lights and a clock (clock works!). Gauges are from a 82' Grand Prix. I wasn't sure how quickly I would swap these in but I ended up doing it this weekend. The coolant temp sensor is very straight forward, oil pressure I will tackle at a later date as it seems a bit messy (literally, oil sludge around sensor/wiring) and figuring out how to T the switch and include a sensor, or come up with a plan. The tach was pretty straight forward, the distributor has a spot for the tach, I have some factory wiring off a Monte Carlo for the tach filter so I just connected that and ran extended wire under the dash through the speedo cable hole, had to add a spot on pin 7 for the cluster connector and then connected the wiring. Tach works but reads a bit high, a good 500 rpm or so higher, roughly anyway. The tach didn't come with the bar that can be swapped for settings of a V8 or V6, so I soldered a wire across the V6 setting. I also re-used the printed circuit as the tach cluster circuit was in question due to light bulbs that are good not working when testing things out. Reading old posts on here the printed circuit should be the same, I just had to remove the metal pins for the clock and put them in the spot for the tach, mirroring the tach cluster. In short I believe it's all connected properly, tach reads zero with key on/engine off and works just high. I have repaired many tachs from Monte's/El Camino's, they have similar symptoms of reading high, there is a repair out there that fixes 90% of them, or 95% of them with this issue I'd say: http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=646206

Wondering if there is a known repair for the same issue on the Pontiac tach.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
They're not all the same mechanism?

I might just study both boards and see which is which but they are laid out differently, hate to cut/solder the only Pontiac tach I have but if I feel confident in matching things up I might be willing to give it a shot.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm referring to just the stepper motor for the tach, the guts, if you will. I can't imagine them being different.

Ok, the guts being the same between the Pontiac and Chevrolet tachs? Very likely. Not sure where this leaves me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor