tachometer not working right

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
on my 1986 monte carlo ss the tachometer is way off, running up faster than the engine. i put on a tried tachometer filter from dixie restorations. that did nothing. does anybody have an idea? help will be appreciated, i am a professional transmission man, if you have a question just ask.

thanks mike

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Olskool, several years ago, I added a resistor to the tach circuit board which restored functionality to my device. I can't recall the value of the resistor, where to install it, etc. If you do a search of this site on repairing stock tachometer, that information should pop up. Just so you know, the cost of the resistor was less than $1. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
i have a unified crossfire cap on the accel distributor, would this cause this sort of problem?

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
on my 1986 monte carlo ss the tachometer is way off, running up faster than the engine. i put on a tried tachometer filter from dixie restorations. that did nothing. does anybody have an idea? help will be appreciated, i am a professional transmission man, if you have a question just ask.

thanks mike
Tach on my 79 Calais does the same I was told there is a switch on the tach for 4 6 and 8 cylinder settings mine has been that from when i bought it Dec.78 but have yet to pull the cluster to find out for sure maybe this spring

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
How far off is your tach? Mine is off in my 83 SS but cannot remember how far. I think 200 - 300 rpm. I didn’t find out until my new distributor went in. The new distributor links to my phone via Bluetooth and has a tach in the app. I haven’t looked into fixing it yet.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Reactions: 1 users

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
My 86 Cutlass tachometer was erratic. I soldered the tach shorting adapter to the circuit board per Olds bulletin # 86-6-135. I did this probably 15 years ago and the tach still works fine,

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor