Tachometer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewG

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2017
Florida
I've got a 86' El Camino that had idiot lights in the dash and I got a dash cluster from another 86' with gauges including a tach. All of the gauges and clock works and the tach goes to 0 at key on but when I start the engine the tach goes to 6000 rpm and stays there. I don't have a tach filter but the service manual says that's for radio interference. The car was originally a v-6 with external coil but I'm using an HEI distributor (in a 500 Cadillac engine) that has a tach connection at the coil. I've checked power and ground at the tach and the wiring from the tach connector to the tach. All good. I saw a thread here that talked about a jumper wire that may be needed that converts from 6 cylinder to v-8 but mine doesn't have that. There doesn't seem to be any provision to switch from 6 to 8. I did check between pins on the circuit board and and what diodes and resisters I could. All seems OK, no opens. Any ideas?

Attachments

• tachometer 001.JPG
    tachometer 001.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 196
  • tachometer 003.JPG
    tachometer 003.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 273
  • tachometer 004.JPG
    tachometer 004.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 187

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
your correct, there is no v6/v8 jumper. i believe its in the circuit board on the back of the tach. i recently replaced an el camino tach/clock assembly with a new tach from mike's montes. here are some pics of the old v8 tach, maybe there is a different resistor or something you can see. 20191012_152002.jpg 20191012_152056.jpg 20191012_152121.jpg

LewG

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2017
Florida
They look the same. Maybe the chip on the board determines 6 or v8. The service manual shows a 6 with a tach in the schematics so I assume they came with a tach.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
double check the resistor color codes too.

Reactions: 1 user

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
If you have a stand a lone tach or can barrow one, i would hook it up and verify a good output from the dizzy.

There is a thread on the MCSS site about the chip going bad and a mod to repair
I think there was a post on here with a link.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I am thinking a bad tach. Hook up a known good tach to wire at the dash tach. When I made that swap I had to run a new wire to the printed circuit

LewG

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2017
Florida
Found my problem and fixed it. I found a link to MonteCarloSS.com and they talked of irratic tach, low reading tach or totally dead tach but not pegging 6k rpm. Seems there is a chip on the circuit board that one resistor circuit goes bad and can cause lots of problems. It's the black and white chip in the photos. The fix was to clip one pin to open that ciricuit and add a 200k ohm resistor. Did it and tach now works. Thanks for all your ideas.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
your welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor