tachometer problem,,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
i have a question maybe somebody can help me with. i have a 1986 monte carlo ss, it has a built 283 engine. the tach is a good bit off. it is showing about twice as high as it is really revving. it is hooked up to the distributor correctly, i think. any help will be appreciated, i have been a professional transmission rebuilder for 45 years. retired now. i have answered several questions on this forum for people although i a new here. if i can help with any transmission problem let me know. i have a vast knowledge with all, matters not the make. maybe i can be of assistance to you also.

thanks mike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Which distributor? You should be running a non CCC HEI in that.
I am curious what a built small CI engine like that makes for power?

Reactions: 1 user

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
it is a factory tach, i did not know about a tach filter. what exactly does that do? calibrates the tach? i am running a factory HEI distributor. if it needs the filter and doesn't have it then that is most likely my problem!

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
no i haven't looked at it again. but if it supposed to have a tach filter and doesn't then i a sure that is the problem. it appears that somebody did a frame off restoration on this car and nay have not put it back right. i have already had to fix and hook up a few undone things,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The tach filter, which is essentially a capacitor, only takes out electrical noises and smooths out the tach pulses. I don't think it will make your reading high all the time. But I'm not a wire biter, so electricians may know.

I believe you will need a 200-220K ohm resistor (super cheap just about anywhere). Based on some of the tach issues I've read about with Malibu and Montes. Cutlass doesn't use a filter or all these fancy resistor thingies. They have a little V6 and V8 "plug" that usually loosens and falls out at some point. The later Olds tachs got fixed with a soldered bridge wire, which was the street fix everyone was doing to the earlier ones anyway.

Anyway, these threads may help you figure some things out. Don't know what could be your problem, but good info here.

But- If you find you want/need a new tach filter...

97135-972a36e97deb068b05697be04cce6f6f.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The tach filter, which is essentially a capacitor, only takes out electrical noises and smooths out the tach pulses. I don't think it will make your reading high all the time. But I'm not a wire biter, so electricians may know.

I believe you will need a 200-220K ohm resistor (super cheap just about anywhere). Based on some of the tach issues I've read about with Malibu and Montes. Cutlass doesn't use a filter or all these fancy resistor thingies. They have a little V6 and V8 "plug" that usually loosens and falls out at some point. The later Olds tachs got fixed with a soldered bridge wire, which was the street fix everyone was doing to the earlier ones anyway.

Anyway, these threads may help you figure some things out. Don't know what could be your problem, but good info here.

But- If you find you want/need a new tach filter...

97135-972a36e97deb068b05697be04cce6f6f.jpg
Well put

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
If the engine runs well, I would first hook up another tach to see if it is accurate. If so, I am thinking a bad factory tach

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor