Tachometer wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
Does anyone know where the wire off of the distributor would hook up to for the tachometer it’s all cutlass dash and rally gauges came factory with the tach I’ve found information that it’s the white wire for the tach on the the plug for the cluster but can’t find where the wire off of the distributor and that white wire would make a connection Ive seen on some other discussions about Grand Prix’s that there’s a spade connector under the dash which would make sense the cutlass originally had a wire that ran threw the firewall that I think was what went to the distributor but I can’t find a connection of any sort to hook that to under the dash

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

I can't speak directly to Cutlass, but the Chevrolets have a black single Packard connector under the dash for the filter harness to connect to.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Pat, I'd like to buy some periods and a comma. Badump- bump. My experience is that the tach wire was buried in the harness and if you don't have the tach option then good luck finding it. Much easier to run a dedicated tach wire straight from the HEI terminal to the back of the tachometer. EZPZ.

Reactions: 2 users

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
Pat, I'd like to buy some periods and a comma. Badump- bump. My experience is that the tach wire was buried in the harness and if you don't have the tach option then good luck finding it. Much easier to run a dedicated tach wire straight from the HEI terminal to the back of the tachometer. EZPZ.
I did just find it this morning, it’s in a super ****ed up spot. Little Connector pops out of the wiring harness up behind the radio pretty much with maybe an inch of wire. Pain in the *ss to find it and get it connected but I think I’ve got it. Had to trace it all of the way from the cluster plug to find it. I’ll try to get a picture of it when I’m back home later

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
When you finally figure out the wiring on your Gbody.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I ran a dedicated, but if you do, you're going to need a filter for the needle not to jump all over the place.

-Gonz

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
I ran a dedicated, but if you do, you're going to need a filter for the needle not to jump all over the place.

-Gonz
Yeah I’ve got it hooked up the way it originally was but there’s no tach filter just a brown wire whip from that little connector under the dash to the distributor still might need to install one I’m going to try it and see how she works without it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor