Tail lights and side markers and dash lights not working HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 20, 2015
87 cutlass supreme with euro clip - so I was changing the bulbs in my tails lights and front turn signals . Not my brightest moment but I stuck a screwdriver in the front turn signal socket to try and pry the metal up to get a better connection and it sparked and now my tail lights , brake lights , and dash lights aren't working I changed the fuses thinking that would've been it but no . Can someone please help with my stupid mistake lol. my headlights work turn signals blink but not parking lights?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
thats an interesting trick. your park lights and brake lights are on separate circuits. tail lamp and brake lamp fuses are both 20amp yellow fuses. double check proper location of fuses. next verify fuse is good. a new fuse doesn't mean its a working fuse. verify you have power going to the fuse, if not, you may have blown the fuseable link at the starter.

Daniel23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 20, 2015
thats an interesting trick. your park lights and brake lights are on separate circuits. tail lamp and brake lamp fuses are both 20amp yellow fuses. double check proper location of fuses. next verify fuse is good. a new fuse doesn't mean its a working fuse. verify you have power going to the fuse, if not, you may have blown the fuseable link at the starter.
how do I verify power going to fuse just test them in the fuse box with a test light?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
the "tail" and "stop" light fuses have power to them at all times, meaning the ignition key does not have to be turned on. you should have power to both sides of each fuse. test light, or volt meter will work. if no power to fuses, you need to check the fuseable link at the starter.
a fuseable link is a section of wire that is smaller than the rest of the wires on the circuit. it is designed to melt if excessive current flow is in the circuit. a short to ground is a good example. now a days the have mega fuses to perform this task.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The fusible link will not blow with a quick short like described.

"NOTES about Fusible Links Only a serious short will cause a Fusible Link to burn–it disconnects a circuit from power just before the rest of the wiring in a circuit would be damaged. Momentary overloads will not burn out a Fusible Link–such as arcing a wrench between ground and an exposed terminal."

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
pontiacgp, you are correct, but nothing else makes sense given the description. it should just be a fuse. I've had fuses that looked good but weren't. i hope I'm not coming across as talking down to daniel23, that is not my intent. just trying to give him as much knowledge as possible so he understands how things work and what the next diagnostic step would be.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
He might have damaged the turn signal switch that's under the steering wheel

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
you may be right. but the fuses are the quickest and easiest part of the circuit to try. if he has power through the fuses, the next location to verify power at would be the connector on steering column. i don't have an 87 electrical manual to review, I'm assuming the euro front clip wiring is similar enough to a non-euro front end that we can help him solve his problem.

Daniel23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 20, 2015
Hey guys yah it was just a fuse lol I'm a rookie and I'll take all the knowledge I can get I used that light tester and found the fuse that was blown the one and only fuse I didn't replace not thing that was it thanks again for all your help

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor