Tail Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
I've got a set. I pulled them off my 1985 Cutty when I got a set of amazingly refurbished ones. These are the ones I have available. Driver condition with no cracks. They have the spiderwebbing in them as all the OG used ones tend to have. I am located on Southern Arizona. LMK if intrested.
20211121_203800.jpg

20211121_203815.jpg

20211121_203831.jpg

20211121_203852.jpg

20211121_203909.jpg

20211121_203925.jpg

20211121_203942.jpg

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Alright friends help us out here. What does everyone think is a fair selling price on the above listed taillights? Not shipping price but sale price for the pair.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Those are 100% refurbishable, that is why I kept em. You ever seen them cut and shot with transparent red and then cleared and polished. No offense taken and hopefully none given. But completely doable. I have a set on my Cutty now that were done and they look amazing. To each there own. These are available if anyone wants them. If not I will gladly sit on them and when time allows get them refurbished on my own end. Was truly just trying to help a member out as I have not been able to find a pair of taillight lenses for the Cutty for a bit. No harm no foul. Thanks for your input.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Those are 100% refurbishable, that is why I kept em. You ever seen them cut and shot with transparent red and then cleared and polished. No offense taken and hopefully none given. But completely doable. I have a set on my Cutty now that were done and they look amazing. To each there own. These are available if anyone wants them. If not I will gladly sit on them and when time allows get them refurbished on my own end. Was truly just trying to help a member out as I have not been able to find a pair of taillight lenses for the Cutty for a bit. No harm no foul. Thanks for your input.
It all depends on what one considers "refurbished"...

If the idea of refurbished is to take a set of lenses with some scratches or fading, and resurface into a new clear layer of the plastic to be like a new set would, no, these never can - the crazing is deep cracks into the plastic. You aren't getting those out.

If the idea of refurbished is to make them shiny and hide the flaws.... Then sure, you can, somewhat, and for a while.

It's like the guy who says he "rebuilt" an engine because it was taken apart and reassembled with fresh paint and gaskets.

Most would expect machining/honing. New rings. New bearings and maybe polish if not cut the crank. Possibly resized rods if needed, same with new pistons if needed. A hot tank to get rid of crud. A magnaflux to check for cracks.

Could both be called rebuilt? I guess maybe.

Same deal here.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Heat checking on those taillights can be covered up and masked where you can't tell, if you're lucky, but that's putting lipstick on a pig, essentially.

No, the checking does not go away. It is not repaired, and there's nothing you can do about it once it happens. Also, depending on the severity, the structural integrity is compromised, and weaker in those areas.

If you have no others, then you got to go with what you have. But I'd still be on the hunt. Minor checking usually doesn't hurt, but heavy checking could be a problem down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor