Tail Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
They make GN lenses, they could make ours. There were 81-83 repops that were supposed to be made, but years later.....nothing.
I should do nothing but buy used tail lights and refurbish them.
It's Gold Jerry! Gold!!
Excited Gold GIF

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
They make GN lenses, they could make ours. There were 81-83 repops that were supposed to be made, but years later.....nothing.
I should do nothing but buy used tail lights and refurbish them.
It's Gold Jerry! Gold!!
Excited Gold GIF

Hutch
Not admitting to having done it, BUT, the cf of the yukon xl would "theoretically" make it worthwhile to return cans in New England for the deposits to offset the field costs of getting there.

You fit 72 cans per cu ft.

The yukon has at its narrowest point in the cargo area a 4x8 ft footprint with the seats down, good for 32cf and leaving room on the sides nest the doors for luggage.

This means a 1ft tall pile of cans covering the cargo floor is 2,304 cans per floor height.

There is also 42" of height in the rear cargo area with the seat platforms folded. (Ignore the extra storage under the folding platforms, that's trip necessities storage too.) That means leaving 6" clearance to the headliners you can fit 3 tiers of cans, 96cf total.

So, leaving lots of room for gifts, suitcases, travel extras it's simple to carry 6912 cans in their cardboard sleeves, and without extra fuel usage. Then choice then becomes taking the $345.60 from a basic northeastern state, or, doubling down for $691.20 from Maine.

Regardless, even at today's inflated fuel prices, it's a free round trip worth of gas with some pocket money to cover lunches.

Again, in theory. Where Kramer and Neuman went wrong is cans are free/no redemption value outside NY, so the margin on your raw materials is better.

Again. Just "in theory."

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Except you can’t get the polish you need for the optics with 3-D printing. Also materials for 3-D printing are limited.
I'd think you could buff/polish the lenses out. There was a TV show showing a printed plastic lens, supposedly real. Not that I know much about it I'd also guess certain lenses are better than others shape wise to consider for it.

Lucky for me I hoarded a stockpile of both uses and NOS in the gm cardboard lenses for future use so kts an academic exercise for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor