Tailgate weather strip

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
For you long roof guys. I just put this on the 79 Wagon. It fits the pinch weld nice and tight. The bulb squashes just about right when you close the glass. We’ll see how it performs the next time it rains really good. I think this is an affordable alternative to the OEM stuff.

F8560B95-71C4-497E-A9CD-4181EB870B4D.png

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That looks good. Thank you for putting that out there. It does look more effective than the original seal. (y)

Reactions: 1 user

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
It actually rained through last night and still raining now. I went out and checked and it’s performing well. No water coming in like it was before. I’m not sure how long that other strip had been in there but the bulb was completely flattened and wouldn’t rebound when you opened the glass.

Here’s some pics of the replacement

BE6B0ADE-C95C-4DD6-9065-EB3204D21860.jpeg
7BE1A6E7-BBB8-49AF-BC3C-EFD2A116CE6A.jpeg
AAF08D4F-20FE-472C-AAAE-D9E0EB638D6F.jpeg

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks again for sharing the pics and reporting on your findings. I am using an original style seal currently. I was using a Plymouth Voyager seal previously. The Voyager seal looks very much like the Amazon one that you show. Very similar profile.
What I dislike about the OEM seal is how it has a flap that accumulates dirt, leaves, moisture, etc. My car is no longer left outdoors. so that hasn't been a problem. The minivan seals are a vast improvement over the OEM seal. Also the trunk seal for many GM cars is another good candidate.

Reactions: 2 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Another really good rain today. No leaks 🙂

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I'm with jack, I am using a Chrysler minivan of some sort, it's been years and I don't remember what exactly it came off of, but it worked. Thanks for adding this, this is good to know!

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
Combing the junkyard and checking out the various minivans, you'll be surprised at what you'll find. Generally the seals are in decent shape and for a few bucks and a couple of minutes of your time you can score a decent weather strip without going overboard.
The Chrysler minivan seals are proven to work well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor