Tailpipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
So I took off the chrome tips that one of the previous owners had put on because they were getting rusty and I’m going for a factory look. Low and behold, they didn’t even match. 🤷‍♂️ Go figure. Anyway, after removing them, the pipes do not match up evenly side to side. The passenger side sticks out of the side further. You only notice it if you’re looking for it, but it bugs me. Any idea on how to align them and which side is actually not right?

BA6E889F-89F5-47CC-9652-94D4BB02C857.jpeg

A84D3A78-6A7E-438B-A5C2-61B0718745F6.jpeg

37AE7C9E-4EA2-46B0-8B8F-DD9F456EBF5B.jpeg

D9187513-FDCE-400B-9BF0-D2C3E7DCAF9B.jpeg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The passenger side pipe has a frame hanger in the picture, but I don't see one in the driver side picture. I wonder if there is any 'give'in the driver’s side piping...can you move it outboard, then weld on a new hanger that holds it in the desired 'correct' location? Small persuasion with a rubber hammer at the over-the-axle bend?

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Since your hangers (at least on the passenger side anyway) aren't factory, it's likely you may be able to adjust them accordingly by putting a bit of a bend in the hanger rod or adjusting something, assuming the same on driver side. Most tailpipes were manufactured with a bend that has tolerances, and that meant you could have ends that may or may not be placed where you want them to be. I've seen factory pipes staggered from side to side like yours. GM Quality + 1980s = Water + oil.

I can say, if you had factory mounts, there would be only a very small amount of adjusting you could do with the mounting brackets anyway. The brackets and such were placed where there just wasn't going to be much movement available. You'd have to do a bit of bending on the fly.

If you don't want gasses building up under the car while sitting and idling, I'd probably place the driver side out just a tad more to match the passenger side. That's just me.

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
There isn’t a hanger on the drivers side and doesn‘t appear to have ever been one. There is a little bit of play on each one but nothing excessive. I’m curious how you know it’s not a factory hanger? Is it the type of hanger or placement?

After further thought I may go ahead and put some new chrome tips on again (matching this time). It does dress them up nicely and I can adjust them so both sides come out the same.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would get a similar style hanger for the driver's side and try to center the exhaust when installing that one.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There isn’t a hanger on the drivers side and doesn‘t appear to have ever been one. There is a little bit of play on each one but nothing excessive. I’m curious how you know it’s not a factory hanger? Is it the type of hanger or placement?

After further thought I may go ahead and put some new chrome tips on again (matching this time). It does dress them up nicely and I can adjust them so both sides come out the same.
The factory and GM replacement pipes have brackets welded onto the back side of the tailpipes. This is where the rubber isolator hangers bolt to. Once bolted up, there's hardly any room for moving them around.

Here's a picture of some NOS VIN9 tailpipes. It's basically the same hanger placement on each side. Need to add, the hangers themselves are slightly different between right and left.

NOS exhaust pipes VIN9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
You have to put some chrome tips back on. Everybody knows that chrome parts add hp!!! :)
Seriously, I would do what it takes to get the end of the exhaust pipe out past the edge of the fender.
My Malibu had a bad habit of filling up with exhaust fumes when I ran her hard for more than a few seconds.
I actually had to have my pipes bent out to make it stop.

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
I would get a similar style hanger for the driver's side and try to center the exhaust when installing that one.
I agree with you it would definitely be the easiest way to make it look even.
this is my old factory mounts
002092C3-CEB8-42E1-94B0-CC0EDED29FC1.jpeg

this is where it was
5DA51CF6-0B60-4153-90A6-405D85D740AD.jpeg
DE29F1E2-52BC-49D3-AF39-5B970DDFAC2F.jpeg

I don’t know if this will help but it’s easy to show since I don’t have gas tank on rear end in the car at this time.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor