Take a LOOK - Paperwork in Frame!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I recently talked to a good friend of mine who reached out to inquire if I or anyone I knew, would have a G body metric frame for sale. I told him I would poke around here for him, as our conversation progressed, he was reminiscing in how he had purchased a 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass coupe from NC, and that after driving it for a year, the 3.8 V6 died, so he pulled the frame to use it on a race car. He told me that the frame was so clean, the paperwork from the factory was still in the original plastic sleeve, unharmed in one of the rear frame horns. I personally have never heard of this, so I asked exactly where he found it. He said the paperwork was in the rear as the frame goes up and over the rear axel going towards the front of the car. In the plastic sleeve it contained a few papers from production with codes and what not on it. This has my curiosity spiked and would like to know if anyone else has had this luck? I will certainly be looking under a few of mine tonight to see if perhaps, any have such paperwork.

I know GM was never too discreet on where they stuck paperwork, if any, so curious if anyone has found similar paperwork in this area, and if not , perhaps its worth a look!

Reactions: 1 user

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
On my '85 the build sheet was on top of the fuel tank. NEVER heard of this "Plastic Sleeve" in a frame before...

• Agree

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
On my '85 the build sheet was on top of the fuel tank. NEVER heard of this "Plastic Sleeve" in a frame before...
I haven't either, I had asked him twice about it and he said that's probably the only thing that kept it all those years was being in the plastic sleeve. This is why I'm interested into seeing if any other G member has come across this.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
There is no such thing as a plastic sleaved build sheet. If there was a build sheet, it would be under the rear seat bottom or above the fuel tank (Corvette Style) Mostly Arlington built cars vs Pontiac built. I have never seen a Pontiac build sheet. My 87 SS built in Pontiac (I'm the original owner) didn't have one anywhere.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Likely places for a g body build sheet are under the rear seat, on top of the gas tank, behind the driver side door panel, and on top of the headliner. I have personally found build sheets in all those locations on various cars over the past 25-30 years. I believe there was even a few that had them in all listed locations in the same car. And some cars had none at all. Never once have I seen or heard of one being tucked in the frame. And if the factory did it certainly wouldn't be in a plastic sleeve.
Keep in mind these documents were never supposed to make it out of the assembly plant. They were supposed to be thrown away by the guys on the line when they were done with them. They only wound up left in the cars cause the assembly line workers were lazy.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Likely places for a g body build sheet are under the rear seat, on top of the gas tank, behind the driver side door panel, and on top of the headliner. I have personally found build sheets in all those locations on various cars over the past 25-30 years. I believe there was even a few that had them in all listed locations in the same car. And some cars had none at all. Never once have I seen or heard of one being tucked in the frame. And if the factory did it certainly wouldn't be in a plastic sleeve.
Keep in mind these documents were never supposed to make it out of the assembly plant. They were supposed to be thrown away by the guys on the line when they were done with them. They only wound up left in the cars cause the assembly line workers were lazy.
I have the door broadcast sheet, it was between the paper vapor barrier and the door panel on the driver's side. It matches my options as well as my VIN

Attachments

• Door Broadcast Sheet.jpg
    Door Broadcast Sheet.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 71

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Yup many cars had trash under the carpet too. I found a Stroh's Ice Cream Bar wrapper under the pax side front carpet when I removed it. I didn't keep it.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Yup many cars had trash under the carpet too. I found a Stroh's Ice Cream Bar wrapper under the pax side front carpet when I removed it. I didn't keep it.
found the sheet for my '67 Impala under the hood insulation. that was from the St.Therese plant

Stroh's? I wonder if it was a beer flavored ice cream?

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
found the sheet for my '67 Impala under the hood insulation. that was from the St.Therese plant

Stroh's? I wonder if it was a beer flavored ice cream?
Their Ice Cream was very good. They were on Gratiot Ave in Detroit (if I remember correctly). It was like all those other brands like PBR, Old Milwaukee, Lone Star, Shaefer, Blatz, Falstaff, Iron City etc etc. Some of which are still brewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor