Tall ball joints, A arms and spindle discussion-trying to find a good combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I ended up buying a set of the UMI adjustable uppers with the built bump stops. It met all of my needs and another member on here had a set that was not working with his wheel combo so I bought his set. I appreciate everyone who had positive input, I have learned a bunch in the last few days! I am now on the hunt for my spring, shock and sway bar combo, UMI is seeming a likely contender as they have packages that are all matched.
sounds like you're on your way regalman,make sure when you go to align that car you use the specs from umi.the stock specs aren't compatible with those arms.i only say that because you got them second hand and i too got mine second hand years back from a member that wasn't able to use them and i contacted umi and they gladly set me up with the alignment specs.
it took me years to get all the suspension together in my car and after doing my homework i ended up with mostly umi.I'm very pleased with the tech support i got from them as some things like an adjustable rear sway bar was new to me.

Reactions: 2 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Does anyone know if the "medium Chrysler" thread-in balljoints used in the old UB Machine upper arms can be replaced with Howe or QA1 with taller studs?

A friends' vehicle needs a brakes update and the arms installed, finally. I was thinking 98-04 Blazer brakes, and 0.5" longer upper and lower joints.

We both have done the B-body brakes and neg-roll upper arms on other vehicles, so we aren't green but, knowledge is welcome.
Thx!
What moog number is a “medium” bj? As far as whether or not it can be replaced, pretty much all the companies use only 2 or 3 ball sizes on their “carrots” so you can use pretty much whatever housing and switch to a different carrot with the correct taper for the taper on the spindle you’re using.

Sometimes you can mix carrots and housings between brands. But howe might have one ball size for say a moog 6141 where as qa1 uses a different ball size for that same k6141

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
I ran across another thread from UMI this morning. I believe that this solves all of my issues/wants.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_59_273&products_id=858

I am running these UMI rod end upper control arms with 1/2" taller upper ball joints and UMI's lower tubular control arm with delrin bushings and stock height lowers and can highly recommend this combination.
Also have QA-1 Coil overs on all corners & can state that after getting caster / camber / alignment set up by my local alignment shop, the car steers & drives 100% better.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I am running these UMI rod end upper control arms with 1/2" taller upper ball joints and UMI's lower tubular control arm with delrin bushings and stock height lowers and can highly recommend this combination.
Also have QA-1 Coil overs on all corners & can state that after getting caster / camber / alignment set up by my local alignment shop, the car steers & drives 100% better.

It sure makes these old cars a lot more fun to drive when the handling is improved.
The ride might be compromised as compared to the soft cushy ride that they had when new,but I'll take the better handling any day.
And it seems like there is no shortage of vendors making either individual parts or complete kits to achieve whatever goal you desire.
Of course,budget can enter into the picture as these upgrades can be somewhat expensive !!
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor