Tall lower ball joint with drop spindles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
Finally getting my car back on the ground and the front sits a bit higher than I expected.

Setup is Belltech drop spindles - Blazer conversion with bolt in hubs, Blazer brakes and such
Moog 5602 springs.
New Moog upper control arms
New Moog (stock) lower ball joint.
235/60r15 tires in front

I've heard that a taller lower ball joint will lower the front about .75". Any compatibility issues with what I have? I read some about it hitting its travel limit and damaging the balljoint, but I'm not sure if that applies to only a taller lower.

Thanks for the help again...if you have recommendations with brand or part numbers let me know.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I have basically the same setup with a similar problem, and am looking to do the same. I have 5662 springs, though. Currently, the car will bottom on big dips- maybe the term shouldn't be "bottom", more like "top out"- the top of the tire hits the inner fender. That being said, your situation will be more noticeable with those soft springs.
First, did you have the full weight on the wheels when you tightened the control arm mounting bolts? If not, loosen them up, then see how it sits.
My current plan of attack is to do the taller LBJs, stiffer 5664 springs, and a shorter 245/50-16 tire. My thinking is that the LBJ will lower it, the spring will stiffen it, and hopefully, a shorter tire won't rub as bad.

Reactions: 1 users

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
All the control arm bolts are loose. When I put it on the ground I rolled it back 20' and forward to its original spot and rocked the car to make sure something wasn't binding.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the 5602 spring is a stock G body spring so the car should have dropped 2" with the drop spindles. Do you have a picture of the car cause you may have the 2" drop but you were expecting more.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The stock springs are ~40 years old and likely sagging from the factory. A new spring might have lifted the car 2" to start with, and although 5602 is a stock spring, there is pretty wide tolerances and differences in mfg. processes between 198something and 2019. 2"+ from new springs and 2"- from the spindles is net zero gain

You can wait the summer and see if they settle, but they will settles 1/2" maybe? At least my 5660's didnt settle much.

The other option is to go with a 5660 or 5658 which is an S10 spring and shorter with a higher spring rate. Stock G body springs are long and low spring rate so they float the car. Unless you really want that soft ride, 5658's might be another decent option.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have basically the same setup with a similar problem, and am looking to do the same. I have 5662 springs, though. Currently, the car will bottom on big dips- maybe the term shouldn't be "bottom", more like "top out"- the top of the tire hits the inner fender. That being said, your situation will be more noticeable with those soft springs.
First, did you have the full weight on the wheels when you tightened the control arm mounting bolts? If not, loosen them up, then see how it sits.
My current plan of attack is to do the taller LBJs, stiffer 5664 springs, and a shorter 245/50-16 tire. My thinking is that the LBJ will lower it, the spring will stiffen it, and hopefully, a shorter tire won't rub as bad.

Same here in the wagon: 2" drop spindles, 5664s, stock A arms, tall lower BJs, and needing a different sized front tire (245 or 255) from the 275s now... that and more negative camber via new UCAs.

Reactions: 1 user

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
the 5602 spring is a stock G body spring so the car should have dropped 2" with the drop spindles. Do you have a picture of the car cause you may have the 2" drop but you were expecting more.

IMG_20190415_161740275.jpg

That's a 235/60/15 tire.

To all - I knew the ride height was a complete crapshoot with how much I was replacing, but the car went up significantly, probably 2" based on old pics

It's a iron headed SBC with no AC, headers and no smog stuff. I didn't think it would be low, but that's a lot if wheel gap.

I'm looking at tall lowers (.5" drop) and possibly some different Moog springs. If I ever get larger wheels I'll look at tall uppers too.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That looks like a factory ride height, are you sure the spindles you have are a 2" drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor