Tall Spindle swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I'm wondering is the main/only reason for going to the tall spindle swap to gain the option for a bigger diameter rotor and caliper on the front?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I can't personally comment on taller spindles on a Gbody. I have done the gen2 Fbody tall spindle upgrade on a couple '60s Abodies though. The primary reason was for the better disc brakes but the handling improvement was definitely noticeable. IMO if you can get better brakes and handling with a simple bolt on, it's a good upgrade. You may already know this but there are "tall" ball joints available that essentially make a stock spindle "taller". If you're satisfied with your current braking but need to do ball joints it's probably worth the extra expense.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the tall spindle and a tall lower ball joint along with cut springs. It's helps with the roll center and a camber gain when cornering. The angle of the upper A arm on a stock set up gives you a roll center that's way out side of the car....

rollcouple.jpg

hy82e

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Pontiacgp, would you say that your set up is equivalent of using .5" tall upper BJ's and 1" lower BJ's? What improvements come from that? Also I read in one of your post somewheres that you are using a 7.5" mount length a-arms, is that for that extra tall set up then?
I had planned on using a 7.75" UB Machine a-arm built for c10 upper BJ's (.5" taller ball than stock g body) and .5" tall lower BJ's. I have not been able to get any advice on pros and cons of using just 1" tall lowers or combination of the 1" tall lowers and .5" tall uppers compared to only .5" tall upper and lower BJ's.

Sorry, for the hijack, but I think its still on topic.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I was using a 7.5 upper with eibach springs, tall spindle and a tall lower ball joint. I changed the springs and dropped the car another 1" so I need an 8" upper now. The lower ball joint drops the car 1/2". If you use a tall lower and upper I think your upper will be leaning in the right direction but it depends on the height of the spring as well. The roll center is very important to the handling of a car so you need to get the uppers on a downward angle. The tall lowers help to position the lower control arm in a better direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor