Tank swap for fuel injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
i believe my current stock 1980 Malibu gas tank has a small leak. It smells sometimes and I can see a clean spot on the tank. I’m swapping a turbo LS into my Malibu and I am parts gathering right now. I’ve heard the spectra tank is the best option for fuel injection but some people say the filler tank neck doesn’t go into the stock position?

Basically I’m looking for the cheapest way to have the correct tank I need for fuel injection since I need a new tank and I’m doing a fuel injection swap. I want to be good until around 800whp with e85 . What tank are most people using for an ls swap?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Monte 4.3L TBI gas tank and sending unit then swap on whatever Walbro pump you want

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yep, the Monte 4.3 and GN tank are the same part #. Rockauto has the cheapest price. I just bought a GN tank a few weeks back with straps for $115 shipped.

However, after checking with guys here I bought a tank without the filler neck, then went and cut one out of a Cutlass in the junkyard. If I were you, cut the neck out of your tank and swap it onto the new tank.

For pumps, check out Racetronix. They have a direct drop in setup with several different pump options. You need to know your BSFC numbers, but a Walbro 450 should work just fine.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I bought the Monte tank without the neck and unsolidered my original neck and soldiered it in the new one worked great

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I want to be good until around 800whp with e85 . What tank are most people using for an ls swap?

Sumped stock tank or fuel cell. At the risk of sounding condescending (not my intent), it will take ALOT of pump to be at 800whp on E85. Nothing that is going to work with a stock pickup/sending unit. The 450 Walbro would be a stretch for your goal on gas, but impossible with E85. Two of them would work, but that will require a modified in tank setup with pumps being staged.

Depending on the ECM control of the fuel system, something that can run pulsewidth control of the pump works well. Look at the Magnafuel ProTuner series - a single pump that can be turned up and down via an ECM. Be careful when looking at pumps' HP rating, most are isting off NA HP numbers so as to get the highest rating possible.

Others here are doing what you're looking to do - hopefully they will chime in. We are running 2 044 Bosch's staged.

I do realize that my comments are somewhat off topic from your question, but when gathering parts for what you're looking to do, then alot of thought and planning needs to be done. And of all of the items to skimp on, the fuel system is not one of them IMHO.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Now there's an oxymoron. If you think you are going to achive 800whp "cheap" you're in for a wake-up call!!!
I said cheapest way. Not trying to be cheap. I’m going to have 9k in this swap and I haven’t even touched the motor yet. I’ve budgeted around 1-1200 for my fuel system

• Informative

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Sumped stock tank or fuel cell. At the risk of sounding condescending (not my intent), it will take ALOT of pump to be at 800whp on E85. Nothing that is going to work with a stock pickup/sending unit. The 450 Walbro would be a stretch for your goal on gas, but impossible with E85. Two of them would work, but that will require a modified in tank setup with pumps being staged.

Depending on the ECM control of the fuel system, something that can run pulsewidth control of the pump works well. Look at the Magnafuel ProTuner series - a single pump that can be turned up and down via an ECM. Be careful when looking at pumps' HP rating, most are isting off NA HP numbers so as to get the highest rating possible.

Others here are doing what you're looking to do - hopefully they will chime in. We are running 2 044 Bosch's staged.

I do realize that my comments are somewhat off topic from your question, but when gathering parts for what you're looking to do, then alot of thought and planning needs to be done. And of all of the items to skimp on, the fuel system is not one of them IMHO.
I need a new tank and I’m looking to run dual pumps in the tank. I would rather not have to modify the new tank at all, so if there were 2 pumps I could fit down in the tank that would be ideal. I’m planning for e85 down the road. I’m most likely going to be at 500whp at first so pump gas will get my by for now. I am also running the stock computer

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I bought the Monte tank without the neck and unsolidered my original neck and soldiered it in the new one worked great
Are the Monte and grand national tank exactly the same? Is one better than the other? I’ve read where some people have had filler neck issues with the tank not being centered on the grand national tank . Are the inside designs the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor