Tanks Inc fuel tank problems????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I'm getting ready to order my fuel tank kit from Tanks Inc. I have seen a lot of complaints about aftermarket tanks burping gas out the filler when filling up unless you go really really slow. Is this a problem with the tanks Inc? I don't want to have to trickle fuel in when I gas up. Thanks in advance!

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
From what I understand, it's actually a problem with the aftermarket filler necks. Usually everyone uses a new filler neck on new tank. Not sure of the Tanks Inc come with a neck or if you have to use your own.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a Spectra GN tank with fuel pump that came with a neck and I have had a problem a couple of times and had to slightly let up on the pump, most of the time no iassues

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
A lot of us are running this style remote roll over vent on any aftermarket tank with great results myself included and I am running a Spectre gas tank for my Regal with their neck
1600130922468.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I read a tech article about this maybe 20 years ago. The bottom line was that the filler neck gets too full of fuel and blocks the air being displaced in the tank from escaping the tank until enough air pressure builds up and is enough to push the gas above it out of the way, so it (the air) can escape. This almost always means that gas comes out of the filler neck ahead of the air and onto whomever is unlucky enough to be in the way. Find a way to vent the tank better and it stops happening. A lot of G-Bodies with the smaller unleaded gas openings in the filler neck had this problem. The filler hole for the nozzle for unleaded was smaller so the leaded fuel nozzles wouldn't fit and there was a "trap door" with a little spring across the filler nozzle opening. (Under the gas cap) We used to use our finger to push the "trap door" down into the neck and then bend it out of the way. That almost always stopped the burping fuel.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
A lot of us are running this style remote roll over vent on any aftermarket tank with great results myself included and I am running a Spectre gas tank for my Regal with their neck
View attachment 157220
Where did you tap into the tank to mount the remote valve?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Where did you tap into the tank to mount the remote valve?
I just used the vent coming off the tank since mine has three hoses

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor