Tapping oil drain plug hole oversize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Long long ago I used one of those rubber expandable drain plugs to seal the drain hole on my Pontiac 455. It was totally stripped and at the time I needed to seal it up fast. Remember those rubber expandable plugs you could get almost anywhere? You pushed it in with a green plastic push rod and removed it the same way. I had forgotten all about it and of course I have no idea where the push tool is. Instead I ground a smooth ball end onto a long aluminum gutter nail and used that to unseat the plug. Amazingly it came out with out puncturing or crumbling. At least 30 years old and made in USA and still good! But a standard 1/2"-20 drain plug bolt was not even grabbing at all so I had to use an oversize plug. They sell oversize bolts but what size to use? Single, double, triple oversize? I saw that the two most common standard size plugs were 1/2" and 14mm. I then remembered that 14mm is the size of spark plugs and I had a tap kit for stripped spark plug holes. Since the pilot drill for 14mm is 12.8mm and a 1/2" drill is 12.7mm I used a 1/2" drill bit to open the stripped hole enough for a tap. Then I tapped the hole to 14mm and the new standard 14mm drain plug bolt fit perfectly. Now instead of needing a special bolt I can use any 14mm drain bolt. Pretty easy fix for a common problem.
IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Naw, I'm just cheap.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Mark, in my experience being cheap is one of the best methods to bring out the true ingenuity.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor