Tax on shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Fleabay is doing this. When I noticed it I I checked the Fleabay site and NYS taxation and finance. I can't find anywhere that says it is OK to tax shipping charges. What gives? Just yesterday I won an auction and the seller offered a slower, lower shipping price if you asked for it. I did and she submitted an invoice with the lower shipping price. Fleabay would not let her do that! They kept the higher price in the invoice. So she submitted a discount for me to offset the higher price. Fleabay showed her the lower invoice but still kept the higher price in my invoice. And they charged tax on that. Even though I was not paying that shipping price. WTF!!??!! Are they that cheap-azz? They have to weasel a few bucks from every buyer on shipping? Worse, the seller told me Paypal (owned by Fleabay) charges tax on shipping at the seller end. Really? So they are collecting tax on shipping twice? I am going to call my State Attorney General about this so stay tuned.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like that your calling the State AG, ebay and paypal depend on the sheep being oblivious to the double dipping

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
doordash skip the dishes and Uber eats do the same thing they tax the taxes surprised no one ever noticed I thought it was illegal to tax a tax

it is illegal to tax a tax but they do that on gas up here and the gov gets away with it....

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Seems like NY has you coming or going. According to NY's Dept. of Taxes and Finance, if the goods are taxable, then the shipping charges are too. What lameness.

• Sad
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Don't feel knocked up or out of place. SC does it too.

But places are out there that don't. Like Florida for example. If you live there, and buy something and the shipping charges are broken down (i.e., not included in a "free shipping" thing) then you only pay tax on the item sale, not the shipping.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Dont feel bad, sellers get charged a fee on the shipping cost along with the fees for listing, selling price and if you want your listing to be at the top of the page thats extra too. Ive said it before and will again that Ebay wants to be Amazon.
P.S. on a side note there is a rumor sometime next year, to list in Ebay Motors for any parts it will be required to have either a buisness or dismantler licence.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well thanks for clearing that up 69hurstolds. Excuse me while I bend over and apply some KY for the privilege of living in New-F-ing-York. I looked at the tax site and never found that. That doesn't change my mind that Fleabay is a bunch of cheapola chiselers........................................................................
1605932675372.png

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I had that aurgument with Fleabay when they started to collect taxes on postage/shipping. I never had to pay any tax on in Pa ordered & shipped shipping charges, explained that to the script reader on the phone & they couldn't give an answer why. Days later I get a generic email say they have to collect taxes on sales based on my location with no reason why shipping was taxed. Sad thing is a lot of places are taxing the shipping too cause of this home state tax collection. FYI Fleabay, the USPS doesn't tax me when I buy stamps.
On that 10% fee they charge on shipping is B.S since I pay the USPS directly at a post office for postage for my sales. Just corporate greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor